Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Little Old Lady Bug (Cleo)

Novi

Two years ago she left for the meadows. I adopted her on Feb 28 2019, almost a month after my soulmate Beck passed away. She was 17 and I adopted her as a way of coping with losing Beck. I had specifically sought out a senior kitty because I knew not all animals are as lucky as Beck. I know I gave him a wonderful life from start to finish.

Cleo had been thrown out by her owners because she had become ill (kidney disease) and when I saw her profile on a non-profit organization I immediately applied to adopt. She was such a tiny, gentle little soul. I have more pictures than memories. But I remember the little things, like how she would wait expectantly as I folded my laundry and instead of putting my clothes away I would put them back in the basket with a towel on top so she could enjoy the warmth. Or how everyday before I left for work I would fill up a hot water balloon and place it at the foot of the bed so she could fall asleep nice and hot while I was away.

I suppose this is different because I took her in knowing she was coming home to pass away. She lived with me a little over a year and passed away at the old age of 18. It still hurts tho, no matter the circumstances. And every life should be celebrated.

Miss you my little old ladybug.

20191217_075546.thumb.jpg.c4130bce06334f6623469871a4a89e85.jpg

• Like 1

OMG, she is such a sweet little kitty!  I love that you adopted her to give her a forever home, I hate that her former people didn't care about her, cats are not trash!  Sometimes we can only hope for karma, I believe it'll come to them in their old age.  As for yours, many blessing to you!  You're a wonderful soul!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Odd I adopted a feral cat just a month after writing this!  He's old, drools, is an outdoor only cat but he's taken well to my patio and has his own house, feeding station, places to run & hide in, loves greeting Kodie and I before we go somewhere or when we come home or I feed him.  He rubs on Kodie, showing ownership and acceptance of him.

• Like Copy 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's awesome! How did you find him (or he find you?)

I read recently on another site that feral/stray cats can't be rehabilitated but that is just not true. Some don't even need any work just a place to call home. Sphinx was a stray who had been abused and she was the sweetest little thing from the day I brought her home. I would have easily trusted her around small children.

• Like 1

He found me!  In April, he was bouncing between neighboring properties and everyone else shooed him off.  I showed kindness to him and began feeding him fish (until I got catfood).  He finally began to come to me and my puppy for pets and sniffing (Kodie) and he'd rub on us to show ownership of us.  ;)  Won't come to others, definitely wild.  But he has a "cat house" on the patio and he likes hanging out on and under the patio and in nearby bushes.  My grandson was here (5) and he let him pet him momentarily, he felt honored!

• Like Copy 1