Grief Healing Discussion Groups

We Had To Put Our Tawny Down Today

avsqr_dancer

For those who didn't see my last post, my dear sweet furbaby, who wasn't even quite two years old yet, was diagnosed with kidney failure almost 2 weeks ago. We did what we could, including IV fluid treatment in the animal hospital for 4 days. It was a temporary fix and she was able to come home with us for one final week. But when she was checked again on Thursday morning without treatment, the critcal BUN number was way up again and so we knew (unfortunately) that we'd have to put her down soon. She was starting to weaken slowly, not eating, not drinking enough water, lethargic. Since there was nothing more to be done, we decided to put her down before she really suffered. That is the last gift we could give her-not allow her to suffer. But she did have one more great dog week with us getting and receiving lots and lots of love and also still able to enjoy her favorite doggie activities and treats.. I'm in a lot of pain right now. I know (from what "they say" and my own experience with loss) that "time heals all wounds," but it's just really tough right now. Thanks for those of you who responded to my earlier post and for keeping her in your prayers. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Hi Dancer,

My heart goes out to you right now, I am so very, very sorry that Tawny has left us. Eventhough I never met her I felt like I knew all about her. I know that you must be so heartbroken right now so please allow me to send you a great big hug!! I know you must be thinking why Tawny and I can not answer that question but only say God had something different in mind for her... Take care and know that eventhough she is gone I will keep you both in my thoughts and my prayers God Bless you Shelley

Dearest Serl,

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Tawny's crossing.....my heart simply aches for you. :(:( Much as you surely are, I'm so glad she at least had that last week with you at home, giving and getting heaps and heaps of love. Rest assured, you've done whatever you could for her, along with this final gift of the heart, from you to her. I'm shedding tears myself, just thinking of you and her....I'll say a prayer for her smooth transition, and for the angels to support you, too, in this darkest hour. Please come back whenever you need to purge in your grief ~ we'll be here. :wub: Once again, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your dear Tawny-girl.

Thank you, Maylissa and Shelly. I will probably be here a lot right now because my heart is breaking. Tawny was a truly amazing dog. She was so sweet, so cute, so giving, loving etc etc etc. Actually so is her dear brother, Tanner, who I am drawing comfort from now, although I am also aware that he does not understand what is going on and is probably grieving himself. I tried not to cry in front of her this past week, but sometimes I could not help myself. And there she was to kiss away MY tears, in spite of her now feeling quite up to par. That is only one of the truly amazing things about animals! Anyway it is hard for me to understand why this happened to such a young, formerly vibrant dog. But the whys don't really matter now. I also pray that whever she is now, she is okay, in peace, and not too lonely without us.

Serl