Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Parents Anniversary

LoriS.

Hi everyone,

Today would have been my parents 65th wedding anniversary! After my Dad passed away 3 years ago, we would remember the day with my Mom and she would talk about all the wonderful years they had together. This is the first year that neither of them are here to celebrate their anniversary, so I have decided to remember it for them. I woke up this morning and was a little overcome with emotions regarding this day. But I am choosing to have a good day and honoring their anniversary by remembering how they truly loved each other for so many years.

I would like to share this funny story about my parents: My parents always held hands when they were walking from their car to whatever store they went into. One time, they must have been 77-79 years old, a person much younger than them walked up to them and said "Oh...you guys are so cute! You're still holding hands after all these years!" My Dad looked at this person and said " I don't even know this woman (meaning my Mom), we're so old we're just holding each other up!!!"

My parents didn't just love each other, they truly liked each other, too. Too often I take for granted my relationship with my husband that I've been married to for 25 years and have two beautiful daughters with.

I guess today is one of the "firsts" of events to happen this year, being the first year that both of my parents are gone. Thanks to all of you, I feel good about it and WILL be able to have a good, productive day!

I hope today finds all of you well. Let us try to remember our loved ones that have passed on with a funny story or a positive memory to honor them!

Hugs to everyone...Lori

Hi LoriS,

I agree with what Shell said I like when people share things with everyone it makes it easier in some ways to deal with everything. I just wanted to add that the first time my parents were not here to celebrate would have been their 50th and I tried to remember how much they loved each other and what stories they had all ready shared with me... I went to a nearby park and released two anniversary balloons off and said a little poem I had written for them... Take care Shelley

Thanks Shell, Starkiss and Janine for your replies. Yes they were a very special couple. I was talking to one of my moms friends on the phone tonight. She's 83 and still has all her wits and sense of humor with her. We live clear across the country, so I don't get to see her, only when I went into town to visit my mom and the rest of my family (brothers, nieces, nephew). I got very sad when I hung up with her, but that was to be expected. I can hear my mom saying "oh honey, how nice that you got to talk to Betty!". I plan to keep in touch with a couple of her special friends that meant so much to her. It just takes a phone call here and there to make an older person happy!

I hope everyone is doing well. Just one day at a time...

All my love...Lori

P.s. Janine your post really got to me and I am about to shed a tear right on the keyboard! Thanks so much!