Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Research Study On Pet Loss

MartyT

Dear Ones,

This announcement comes to us from Wendy Packman, JD, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychology at the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology. Although I don't know Dr. Packman, I do know and hold in the highest regard another of the researchers conducting this study. She is my colleague and friend, Betty Carmack, RN, EdD, who teaches nursing in San Francisco. Betty has worked in the area of the human/companion animal bond for two decades, and has written numerous articles and made radio and television appearances regarding pet loss. She received the San Francisco SPCA Humanitarian Award for "providing the extremely valuable service of monthly grief counseling for bereaved pet owners," and she is the author of Grieving the Death of a Pet.

BEREAVEMENT STUDY

THE CONTINUING IMPACT OF A PET’S DEATH

Researchers from the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology and the University of San Francisco School of Nursing are conducting a study to learn about the impact of losing a pet. The investigators are Wendy Packman, JD, PhD, Nigel Field, PhD., and Betty Carmack, RN, Ed.D, CT. They are requesting participation from adults (18 years and older) who have lost a pet within the last year. It is expected that the information learned will assist in providing comprehensive care for these grieving.

If you choose to participate, you will be asked to complete questionnaires about how you are adjusting and coping with the loss of your pet. Following completion of the questionnaires, a researcher will interview you at a time and place convenient to you. The questions are designed to help us better understand your experiences following the death of your pet, and to hear your suggestions for how care in this area can be improved. Your individual responses will be kept completely confidential. Participation in this study will take approximately 3 hours.

If you are interested in participating in this study please call: (650) 843-3596