Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Went Back To Work Yesterday

Yesterday was the first da I went back to work after Dad's funeral Monday. I think it was one of the toughest things ever. I am so tired, distracted and forgeful!!! Sometimes it just doesnt seem real, tho I guess that will take time. It hurts so much, and can be so overwhelming. My mom, brother and sister went back to Arizona today. I feel so lost and alone. Thanks for being here.

Pebbles,

I remembered when I went back to work after my father's funeral service, albeit on a part-time basis for a week, it was pretty difficult, although there were moments when I actually made myself busy enough to forget about his passing for an hour or two. Since his death came so close to the holiday season, I didn't go to any of the holiday parties. Just didn't feel like celebrating anything; I still don't to be honest.

I think what made returning to work difficult was the attitude of my boss, who apparently assumes that everyone thinks the way he thinks, and if he can get over things quickly, he assumed I would just get over my father's death at the snap of a finger, and he cited how he moved on with his life after the man who was his father-figure growing up had also recently passed. That's fine and dandy, but it didn't make me work any harder for him. Fortunately, most of my other colleagues were much more understanding.

I agree with Lori, it's just going to take time, and don't let anyone tell you that there's a timetable to get over it.

Jeff