Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Lost My Great-grandmother

I lost my great-grandmother about 8 weeks after losing my younger brother (age 18). It seems to me that I am still grieving so hard for my little brother, I don't know if I have grieved for my great-grandmother or if I am still yet to grieve for her. On July 8 (the day she died) about 6:30 in the morning we received a phone call from my grandfather telling us that nursing home called him to tell him that my great-grandmother was not doing well and on the way to the nursing which is about 30 minutes from where I live he called back saying that she had passed. The nursing home suspected a heart attack was responsible. About 1pm that afternoon my family went and made arrangements for her funeral. The next day at the visitation my friend who worked at the nursing home told me privately that my great-grandmother had told her nurse that she was going to die that day. I told my dad about it and apparently she had been saying that she was ready to go be with the lord and her husband since he died in 1979. I am not sure if that gave me some sense of peace or if I am still grieving for my little brother and am yet to grieve for my great-grandmother.

If anybody could give me some answers that would be great.

Nathan's Sister,

You have lost so much so quickly. I am very sorry for the loss of your brother and great-grandmother. My prayers are with you. I lost my precious Nana on August 30 of last year, she was 98. Nana was a wonderful person she always took care of everyone in the family and made us laugh and of course always making sure we were fed well. When she died, yes I was sad but I also felt she led a wonderfully full life and had to be tired of taking care of all of us for so long so there was also a peace that she was finally getting the long deserved rest she needed. As for your brother that is so sad to lose someone so young and so full of life. I will keep you in my prayers so that you find peace.

Hugs and prayers,

Corinne

Nathans Sister,

I'm so sorry for your losses. And so close together, it makes it even harder. I do believe that some people are ready to go, that they've made peace with death and are tired and ready to move on. If your great-grandmother felt that way, then find peace in that. As hard as it is to let her go, be glad she is now at peace.

You are probably grieving for both of them at the same time, but having gone through multiple deaths close together myself, I know what you are feeling. Sometimes I wonder who I'm crying for and then I realize it's usually for all of them. Grief is just there, and it will be with you for some time, so give yourself time to go through it and try to take care of yourself. I'm so sorry that you have had to lose two people you love. Hang in there.

Hugs,

Shell