Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Old Photos Are A Gift

Is it an after-life gift from your spouse when you suddenly find pictures and images of him/her you didn't know existed, or thought were lost? I'd like to think so.

I've been cleaning out a spare bedroom I'm converting into an office, so I expected to find forgotten items I didn't know I had. But several weeks ago when I was putting together a photo board for Bill's memorial service, and in the weeks since, I was upset because there were so few pictures of us together. Neither of us liked to be photographed, so I thought I had only our wedding pictures.

Now, in the past two days, I've found a dozen pictures of Bill and me from several different occasions, ones I didn't know about. And then as I was going through some old VHS tapes, I found a cassette labeled "Phoenix Fire Department Rescue Services." Couldn't imagine what it was, then I remembered - in 1999, Bill had had a heart arrhythymia episode but was saved by two of his students and the paramedics. Afterward, the Fire Department filmed an interview with Bill to help publicize their rescue services.

I'll need to have the tape converted to a DVD - but now I'll be able to see him and hear his voice again each time I watch. It's going to be difficult to view the first few times (I know I'll go to pieces). But what a wonderful treasure to find. Thanks, honeybee! I love you always.

KathyG,

What a treasure you have found!I had something similar happened after my Jack died. I found some old VHS tapes and buried within them were very few images of him - as he always was the one to do the video taping - so there scattered throughout these video's was Jacks Voice. All I could do was sit there and cry when I first played them. I had them converted to DVD's. Now anytime I want to hear his voice all I have to do is put them in the DVD.

They say, as time passes, sometimes people begin to forget what there loved one's voice sounded like. For me this has not yet been a problem - however with these DVD's I can now be assured that I can hear him any time I want to.

I had an extra copy made and gave one to Jack's son and granddaughters for Christmas 2006.

What you have found - buried in that room that will soon be your office - is a treasure - your Bill's voice and image. I am so happy for you. Its these little tings that can bring us so much joy and peace.It is how we keep them alive for us. It is how we ensure that they will not be forgotten and that they will be remembered. The dying always want to be reassured that they will be remembered. These pictures and voices are wonderful methods to ensure that our memories of them will never fade.

Peace and love,

John - Dusky is my handle on here

Love you Jack

Great Kathy,

These things are so important to us. I have some wonderful videos of Jack and lots of pictures all over the house. I love them. For a long time I'd say, "Hi, dear" whenever I looked at them. Not that much now that I'm 2 1/2 years down the road, but I still talk to him. I know he's listening. Good for you.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)