Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Pat's Story

Guest Vickie O'Neil

I wish I had thought about organ donation when Jack died. I was so distraught when he was in the process of dying that I never pursued it and quite honestly I cannot even recall for sure if I remembered at the time that he had made himself available as a donor. I know now that his license said he would have been willing to have been a donor. Although he was blind as the result of a stroke - there was absolutely nothing wrong with his eyes - they were in perfect condition. How I wish that I would have been mentally alert enough to have remembered to save his eyes. I would give anything to have his eyes help someone else to see, and for those eyes to see me again.

John - Dusky is my handle on here

Love you Jack

Harry's eyes have given sight to someone. It is comforting to know that the transplant(s) were successful according to the eye bank. I have written a letter to the recipient. I haven't mailed it yet but intend to soon. I put it away and will read it again before I mail it. It is important to me that it conveys the kind of person Harry was. Organ donation is something we had discussed many times in the past and we each knew the other we wanted to do it. My children also know to say yes when my time comes. It was a hard question to hear because Harry's death was so unexpected but I knew the answer to give.

Dusky, I know what you are saying about having your loved one see you again. I hope that someday I will be able to look into Harry's eyes again.

Sherry

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Marty T, Thank you for posting all the links to educate on Organ Donation..I learned a lot, too. The discussion is important, at least to me, & informative as well. If you can't save your loved one & if it's too late.EDUCATE! I leearned a lot by taking the time to read it.

Dusky, aka John..we are on earth because we are humans..but oh the eyes that sparkled at you. We can't be expected to remember everything, I guess it's God's job to do that. I do wish your Loved One's eyes were transplanted..for sure.

Sherry, I'm glad your husband's eyes were transplanted..& don't be afraid to write & send that letter to the recipient..the joy of getting the transplant has saved someone from being blind..that is awesome.

Love to this group, Vickie

Guest Vickie O'Neil

Here I go again today is the Anniversary of Pat's service, & I discovered yesterday his Dad was put in a nursing home, 2 weeks ago...not one person from the family told me! (I called his cousin last night)

I called Pat's Uncle, Pat...the Funeral Home Owner, I had some questions..& he told me..he's trying to discover how much money Pat's Dad should have had left in his account. The nursing home cost's $4,400 a month...Pat said he can stay till his money runs out..he has 40K in the bank ..or transfer him to a Catholic nursing home, but they, too...will get rid of him when the money runs out.

I was the Listing Agent when my father in law sold his home....so my father-inlaw's Kids from his second marriage want to know Where the Money Went? My father in law had to refi his home to pay for their Mom's medical expenses when she died of cancer. John could not have afforded to live in the style he was accustomed to if not for my husbands paying 2/3 of his bills on his home.John, my father in law always acted like a high roller..it was my husband that sppoorted His LifeStyle!

I dragged out the file from 2003 & recounted the numbers it is just about right by my reckoning. I was off 8K in John's favor.Pat's Uncle said he was talking to the Attorney General in AZ. OK guy& gals..Enough is Enough!

Vickie O'Neil