Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Christmas Cards

Well I had gotten two cards forwarded to me last year for my Mom who had passed in Jan 07. I couldn't find the addresses for these people before so.. I kinda felt bad about it because they obviously didn't know she had gone.

My hub had a health problem come up in early January this year so I forgot about these poor two people.

When I went to get out my Christmas card list this year.. in that bag were the two cards. That was an unpleasant surprise... but my own fault for not writing them right when I got the cards.

So the other day.. I sent these two people early cards to let them know. Man.. tough to write them out as I have been out of that painful zone of letting people know she had died for a quite a bit of time.

However even though it was difficult to write them... I am glad I finally did let them know. And I hope they forgive me for the delay.

leeann

Dear Leeann,

I'm sure they will think nothing but the best of you and may even send a sympathy card in return.

Christmas cards are one of the toughest things to do during the Christmas season. Last year I started mine off with, "I can’t believe it’s been six months since Bob passed away. We miss him dearly...We would love to hear from you and if you have any stories to share about the life and times of Billy Bob, that would be all the better."

I knew there were people on my card list that maybe didn't hear about his dying. This was one way to let them know and I was hoping to get some funny stories to share with the kids. I did get a couple. (I also had one horrible response, so I took those people right out of my address book.)

This year, I let my eleven-going-on-twelve-year-old daughter write our letter. It was too much for me to face and she has put a whole new twist into it. Its quite cute and one less thing for me to have to deal with.

Kath

Wow what great thinking Kath in having your daughter write the letter instead! Great idea!

Kids do have a totally different perspective and I bet she did a fine job by the sounds of it. And good for you in delegating that particularly difficult task to one who would find it maybe anything but!

Kudos to you!

This year I'm hoping it won't be as difficult. I won't be writing much I think.. just signing them. I was able to "catch up" with most of my family in October at a wedding.. so I don't feel the need to write much news anyway and that will make this much easier for me.

leeann

Here's an exerpt from her letter. It may be a "mom" thing, but I think its too good not to share...

"Just because we are busy though doesn’t mean we don’t have time to relax. As you read this poem I hope you think of the splendid times you had this year and what grand experiences you witnessed. Hopefully you’ll even find your inner-self.

Cheerful

Happiness

Reality

Interesting

Stressful

Thankful

Miracles

Amazing

Spectacular

Maybe that poem calmed you down enough to let you enjoy life to the fullest. So merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!"