Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Thanksgiving Day

STARKISS

Hi All,

As some of you know it is Canada's Thanksgiving Day weekend and I am not looking forward to this weekend... I am all alone with no real friends and family around me for the whole weekend... I thought I might be okay but I am not feeling all that well, I am just so down in the dumps so far.. It has been five years since I lost my parents and so I thought I could handle it but Here we go again with tears and crying.. Shelley

I did see one of my therapists this past Thursday and boy was that emotional... I cried the whole time and could not speak about what was going on, she is a art therapist so she took out the crayons and paper and told me to just do what I needed to do to help get the emotions out... So I wrote words and scribbles and little pictures and I cried so very much... I usually have a hard time crying infront of people but not this time I could not stop... Shelley

Shelley - I was worried about you. I saw that you hadn't come by these forums in a couple weeks. Don't forget you have friends here. I know that some days are particularly difficult. I am coming up on 1 year since my Mother's death, November 1st. I am pretty sure I will be able to be with other family during this time, otherwise I would be seriously distressed. As you get through the weekend, you can always post here and be with friends. We need your support too, just as you need ours. - Ron B.

Hi Ron B,

Thanks for caring,I am extremely busy right now with the new job and I help with a beaver group, brownie group and a guide group, my therapist say I am doing too much and need to find more time for me but I find when I am on my own time I have a very difficult time dealing with my grief and family issues too.. Shelley

The holidays are hard. I'm in NC alone and five siblings and friends all do a big hilday dinner each year. My 35 year anniversay is coming 10/30 We made 33 before he died. I will be in Fla. with my two closest girlfriends(ex sister in laws). I will be partying (so unlike me) at the beach in my half brother's beach condo.I will drink a toast to a wonderful husband and brother of one of the friends. No longer here but in my heart. Hey, better trhan being alone again since it happened. Make your bad days different if you can. I'm sure I'll shed a tear or a dozen that weekend. The other friend was married to my half brother. She performed the wedding ceremony for us. LindaKay

Hi All,

Well here I am all alone and really missing my mom right now, I have a scrapbook of all the Thanksgiving day dinners we had as a family... I even have pictures of our last Thanksgiving in my parent's house... The first Thanksgiving Day without my parents we had in their house before it was sold... I lived with my parents for forty years and it was a fitting tribute to their memory... I only wish we could have done more special days in their memory instead of falling apart from one and other like we have done... shelley

Shelley,

I know how hard it is to be alone on holidays as I've been alone for many years now for all of them. This year I've decided to sign up for volunteering on all the holidays. It helps. Maybe if you have no one to spend Christmas with you might consider this too. Believe it or not, there are people out there even worse off and volunteering does make one feel better. Try not to feel too lonely this weekend, ok?

Hi All,

Thank you all for your replies, it really means alot to me... I am going to be okay this weekend, I have been thinking alot about my mom and the good Thanksgiving Days we have had together... I have chosen to have pizza for Thanksgiving instead of turkey, I just feel so mixed up inside but I know my mom would want me to still enjoy this day... Shelley