Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Panic Attacks?

emptyinside

I realized I will have to go to this one place I've never been to except with my loved one. I can't get out of it, and I was just picturing myself there, what it was like last time, and it dawned on me that the last time I went there it was before he died. I had a panic attack at the thought. Somehow it just renews the grief in my head, so now I feel a little like I did after he died. Panic, shortness of breath, chest pains, feeling of being lost and stranded. If I'm having panic attacks at the thought of the place, I wonder how it will be for real? Has anyone successfully overcome their panic attacks either through prescriptions or otherwise? I'd love to hear people's stories.

Panic attacks are scary and I've had them. In fact, in anticipation of my Dad's funeral I just panicked at the thought of both the plane ride there and the funeral. I went to my MD and he was nice and gave me a little something to help. Without that little something I don't know that I would have been able to attend the funeral. I know it's quite common that people take something in these situations.

I know lots of people who have scripts for panic attacks. As long as they are only used as necessary and not on a regular basis, people do just fine with them. Other people learn to overcome their attacks via densensitization, but that can require time, money and often a therapist. Obviously, if this is a one time thing you are fearing, I'd opt for a little something to get you through it. Just my opinion and I am not a Dr, but I also know that a little something allowed me to attend my dad's funeral.

Caveat though - if there will be several places you have to go that will be first times alone, then I might think about counseling instead.