Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom's Birthday Would Have Been Today

I lost my Mom on January 4th and today would have been her 81st birthday. The numbness is starting to wear off and today was terrible. My whole life we have celebrated birthdays as a family and this is the 1st one without her. How can I do this? I miss her so very much. She was my best friend and I don't know how to carry on.

Im sorry Cat Lady. It must be so difficult. I have until April to reach that milestone. However this month is my Dad's birthday and my sister wants to plan to do something special..now thats going to be hard..they were together for over sixty years so there was never an event that didnt include Mom.

I cant say Im numb, but I dont like to think too far ahead anymore. I try to keep as busy as possible and not leave too much time for thinking.

Guest Nicholas

Last Saturday was the first birthday since my son died, so I know exactly how you feel, I cried a lot. His birthday will be on April 2nd and I know that will be a truly awful day too - only in December we talked that both our birthdays would fall on a Saturday in 2011. I was invited out on Saturday and I know that helped, if only a little.