Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sad, She Fell

grace10

I feel so sad today. I went to Trader Joe's (a fun grocery store) this afternoon, and just as I was entering the store, there was an elderly woman sitting on a curb with some of the employees attending to her. She had fell on the way out of the store. She just looked so helpless, and one of the staff said she had to go for stitches to her forehead. There was a full bag of groceries unattended in the cart and I let staff know so they could do something with the items that are not going home with her now.

Yesterday, in a class, the topic was falls. An elderly person falls every 18 seconds in this country (US) and the effects had be deadly or can begin the decline of physical and cognitive health. Most falls have little to do with things on the ground, etc. 75% are due to intrinsic (meaning things like balance, eyesight, blood pressure changes, perception) problems. Its part of the aging process. Really, it was two falls that did my mother in both cognitively and physically. First, there was the pelvic fracture last (2009) New Year's Eve day and the admittance to a nursing home where she stayed until she passed on. She made a fair recovery from that, but then there was another fall. Seeing the woman today just brought up a lot of sadness about my mother and what she endured with all the falls she had in later life. She lived in a wonderful place with great staff, and used a walker, but she still would have falls.

Dear Grace,

I am sorry your pain was triggered. These moments are hard indeed. I have found in time that triggers take us back but they don't hurt as much. I relate to watching your Mother's decline after her falls. My Father had Alzheimer's and he also was in a wonderful caring facility with great staff. He had a fall, broke his hip, and he never would stand and walk again and he declined very rapidly. Painfully difficult to witness the decline of a parent we love.

I reach out to you in support, understanding and hold you in gentle thought and prayer.

Courge and Blessings, Carol Ann

Dear Grace,

You are more than welcome. I find that my spirtual self is one that has helped me thoughout it all and has never abandoned me and grows stronger each day. I find much joy comes from having a spirtual self, whatever your beliefs are about spirituality.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann