Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief Or Depression?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Can any kindly soul on here enlighten me - or perhaps have read what psychiatrists have established - as to the difference between grief following a bereavement and depression, as the symptoms seem so alike? I have suffered from depression presumably from since my Mum died back in 1979 (there is also a history of depression [and anxiety] on both sides of my famiy), and I have been on various anti-depressants for many years. I also suffer from migraines and anti-depressants are often prescribed to prevent attacks.

But how can one tell if the grief is subsiding or if one is just still (or more) depressed ... can one feel the difference? Lack of energy, interest, enthusiasm, motivation - and many other symptoms besides - seem to cross over both boundaries.

Perhaps this is a question that can only be answered by those who haven't suffered from both grief and depression at the same time, or maybe not??

Any advice as always is most welcome.

Thank you

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, I am sorry you are suffering so much lately, but thanks for asking this as I too have been wondering... I am been going through so really weird things and my therapist has now told me that my problems are no longer grief but I suffer from severe depression along with a major problem with Anxiety too... I hope you find peace and healing, and that you feel better soon...

Marty, I read the article and found it very interesting, thanks for sharing ... Shelley

Guest Nicholas

Thank you both so much, I shall read the articles.

Nicholas

PS: I have forwarded the first article to my GP in the hope that he better understands my plight next time I see him.

Dear Nicholas,

I am sorry for the pain Nicholas. I can only speak for myself regarding depression versus grief. I do believe the two are similar with some very distinct differences: at least that is how it was for me. I lost total interest in my work; I saw no hope at all in so far as life ever being enjoyable again; I lacked motivation; my sleeping habits changed dramatically; I had no desire to eat anything; and thought the answer was to die and join Melissa. Thankfully, I did not do that and I sought help and I was diagnosed with clinical depression; I was put on anti-depressant; and it took going through a few different ones till we found the one that worked for me. The only way I can describe it is it seemed all of a sudden the lights were turned on; I had clarity of thought again, I began to desire to work again, I had an appetitie again, my sleeping habits went back to normal and I felt a zest for life again. The despair left and I began to fight and bring people to accountibility.

So Nicholas I am not an expert in this field at all so bear that in mind. I do think the symptoms I was experiencing are symptoms of grief as well and not clinical depression; in my case however my grief was complicated by multiple trauma's and multiple loss; which indeed did lead to a clinical depression and rendered me totally unable to function in my life.

So Nicholas, for me I did develop clinical depression, and was treated with medication and the depression lifted and have been functioning very well in life now for over to years without medication; so for me the medication was needed for a time and then was able to titrate down and off completely with the support and guidance of my docotor, my pharmacist and my therapist.

Thinking of you Nicholas and sending understanding, care and support.

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann

Guest Nicholas

Dear Marty, yes another excellent article which has also winged its way to my GP; Carol Ann, thank you as always. I feel I need to change my anti-depressants but I have been on them for years and these ones are especially difficult to withdraw from and now, of course, is not a good time (is any time a "good time"?).

Nicholas