Grief Healing Discussion Groups

How Do You Help Someone Who's Grieving?

MartyT

Posted this morning by registered nurse and bereaved mother Maureen Hunter on her blog, Esdeer: Stepping Through Grief:

When someone is grieving, knowing what to say can mean you can give you so much and it costs so little. This past week my son-in-law lost a very close friend, tragically in a trail bike accident. It was sudden and unexpected and he was devastated. Even though his wife had been through a very similar situation herself, she was at a loss as to how to help him. The "what to say or do" had deserted her.

It can be very uncomfortable to be with someone in the midst of such pain and anguish. Quite often we just want to fix it for them and make the pain go away. We may have no idea what to say or where to begin and are anxious about saying the wrong thing. It's easier then to avoid them altogether. No, it's not! Here are some tips for you, so you can best support someone who is grieving. Read on here >>>>>

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Marty,

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I found it very enlightening. Sometimes I find even though I have experienced a lot of loss I am at a loss for what to say to help someone...so thanks very much.

Very illuminating!

Blessings and Courage, Carol Ann