Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sudden Loss. :(

mom2scout

I lost my sweet baby scout, my 6 yr old American Eskimo on Wednesday. He had a severe case of pancreatitus that started early Sunday morning. I met my vet who gave him injections for pain vomiting etc and sent him home, telling me to bring him back the next morning. He was worse on Monday. My vet hooked him up to IVs since he couldn't stop vomiting. I went back at closing time fully expecting him to be better. He was much worse. My vet recommended taking him to an emergency vet hospital. I took him that night. They stabilized him. The next morning They said he needed a plasma transfusion abdominal that it would probably bring him back around. It was very expensive but that was the least of my worries. The transfusion went smoothly but at 530 Wednesday morning I got the call that he had passed. Blood work that came back after his death indicated that he always had a chronic case and then he had 2 acute cases back to back and it was Just too much. I'm so sad and Mad because this could have been. Avoided by not giving him table food. I'm so sad and miss my baby so much. Much house is so. Quiet. With my daughter leaving for college it's gonna be really lonely. I feel like I'm gonna be sad forever. :(

I am so so sorry for your loss. I have lost a dog and it is horrible, I know. I know that quiet house feeling after a pet loss (and since my husband died). Your daughter leaving for college makes it even quieter. You are in my thoughts. Mary

I am so sorry you lost your baby...I used to have Fluffy, 1/2 American Eskimo, 1/2 Cocker Spaniel (see picture), they are very sweet dogs. I know you'll miss him...maybe on down the road when you re up to it you can consider getting another dog? I know they don't replace the one, they are never the same, but at least it'd give you some company since your daughter will be leaving.

post-914-131264718553_thumb.jpg

I have started thinking about getting another dog. I said scout would be my last house dog but now I'm rethinking that. A lot of my friends have said get another dog, it really helps. I know I can't replace him and I want to make sure I get another dog for the right reasons. It's just really painful right now and I know only time is going to lessen the sorrows. :(

I hope you do. One thing I've done is always gotten a very different dog that I didn't expect to be like the last one. I had a 120 lb Golden Retriever mix, Teddy, gentle but good guard dog, and Fluffy my 1/2 Amer. Esk., 1/2 Cocker Spaniel, sweet wonderful family dog, and then Lucky, 1/2 Whippet 1/2 Dalmatian...she was completely trained, scared of her own shadow, but so very obedient...not very interactive, she'd lay in a corner of the house, afraid to venture to other rooms, yet the most graceful creature I've ever seen, she could run 45 mph! Then I got Arlie...how would I describe Arlie! He's 90 lbs, extremely strong 1/2 Siberian Husky 1/2 Golden Retriever, a permanent Puppy, rambunctious, spirited, extremely interactive, clumsy, fun, loving, and I wouldn't trade him for anything! Sometimes I miss the obedience Lucky had and her beautiful grace, but my Arlie is such a wonderful companion and just what I need at this time in my life. They are all wonderful for their own qualities that make them them!

Arlie pictured below...

post-914-131295219596_thumb.jpg