Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Loss Of Spouse

I lost my husband to cancer on November 8th, 2003. It was a very short time between diagnosis to his death, although he had been sick all summer. We had been married for 21 years, some of those years were very good and some of those times were very bad. I almost choose not to post this, I didn't want to sound like a horrible surviving spouse. The fact remains is that I did love my husband. We often didn't agree but we always had the most important thing in common, aside from the love that burned stronger in the early years. The one thing is our son who is now 13 years old. The tears sometimes catch me be such surprise, I really thought that I dealt with and through all of the emotions, not hiding/surpressing any. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I really feel that life is good right now. Nette

I have friends who have lost their husbands a few years ago...they say it never entirely goes away, that you get "grief bursts" at any given moment, but they lessen as time goes by...of course, everyone and their situtation is unique, but don't be surprised by them, just accept them as part of your love for him. I do not expect to "get over" my husband, but to learn to live with it, there's a difference.