Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Critical Importance Of Seeking Support

MartyT

Dear Ones,

I've just learned of an article by respected author and grief educator Alan D. Wolfelt that I'd like to share with all of you. The article appears in the Fall 2012 issue of the Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (T.A.P.S.) Magazine. It explores how geese use five instincts for support that can help guide us as we mourn, and reminds us of how important the social support of loved ones can be, especially on our grief journey:

The Critical Importance of Seeking Support: Learning from the Geese

By Alan D. Wolfelt, PhD

If there is ever a time in life when we need others to support and nurture us, it's when someone we love dies. In many ways, grief work is the most difficult work we will ever do. And hard work is less burdensome when others lend a hand.

Sharing the devastation that results from the death of someone precious won't make the hurt go away, but it does make it more bearable. In reflecting on this need to support each other during times of grief, we might be well-served to observe the five natural instincts for support and companionship demonstrated by wild geese . . .

You'll find a link to the rest of the article on Alan's website, here

Excellent piece. I REALLY like this...right up my alley...with its metaphors. Wolfelt is doing a workshop in the Milwaukee area next fall and I am anxious to see what it will be (TBA) and might attend... Thanks, Marty

Mary

I loved this piece, too ~ just this morning having seen in the sky a flock of Canada geese honking and flying in a perfect V-formation, heading due south. The sight amazed me and just took my breath away ~ the wonder of it all. And then I came home and found Alan's article in my email! Perfect synchronicity!

Don't ever pass up an opportunity to attend ANYthing offered by Alan Wolfelt, Mary. He is absolutely wonderful ~ truly a giant in the field of grief and loss, and one of my heroes

Thanks, Marty. I would love to take some classes out there someday, I think. Who knows what I will do. But with him 2 hours away...I will surely attend. Glad to know he is one of your heroes...that is good enough for me. :)

I think those geese flew over Spring Green heading due south!!

It is amazing...the animal world just holds me in awe. Bird brain...my foot! We should do as well.

Peace,

Mary