Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I survived 3 months

Wolfskat,

I am sure your husband heard you read the letter.  When my husband did not respond anymore, I just sat the whole night holding his hand and talking to him.  Told him how much I loved him and what a great husband he was.  Right before he quit responding, he said something I could not hear.  I got closer and he said "It's so hard to say goodbye".  I believe they heard us and knew how much we loved them.

Gin

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WolfsKat said:

He gave no appearance of hearing, but, I read it out loud to him.....it was hard, but......she wished me to do that, and I so hope he heard it......would've meant SO much to him!  

I want to believe they hear even if they appear unresponsive.  My dearest cousin was dying of a brain tumor and I emailed a letter to his wife to read to him.  He was in Boston and I in Seattle.  I needed him to know how much I loved him and how much he influenced my life.  I choose to believe that love trumps any 'evil' thing that tries to come between people no matter how hard it tries.  Love wins.

• Upvote 1

The doctors at the Mayo told us that the hearing was the last sense to go when a person is dying and that we should talk to Deedo, which we did.  I latched onto that thought and it has given me some peace since as I spent the next eighteen hours talking nearly nonstop sharing with her all I could.

18 hours ago, Brad said:

The doctors at the Mayo told us that the hearing was the last sense to go when a person is dying and that we should talk to Deedo, which we did.  I latched onto that thought and it has given me some peace since as I spent the next eighteen hours talking nearly nonstop sharing with her all I could.

Brad, I'd heard that as well.....that hearing is often the last sense to go.  The last few days of Connor's life, while he was unresponsive, I did the same as you....I kept close and talked to him almost constantly, if I had to leave his side, I'd tell him so, but that I would be back soon.  One of the ICU nurses Connor had was wonderful......he would always "chat" with Connor.....and tell Connor exactly what he was doing (blood draws, etc) just as if Connor was totally alert......and he always, always used Connor's name.  He also asked me what Connor's interests were....so that he could possibly reference that in "conversation"....and even have a TV channel going that might be appropriate. I thought that all of his actions were so very thoughtful and caring!  After 17 years as a critical care nurse, he told me that he was thinking of going into Hospice nursing.....I told him that in my opinion, he would be a wonderful asset in that field...I hope he made that choice!

• Upvote 1