Grief Healing Discussion Groups

How Can Something So Small Reduce Me To Tears?

Guest Guest_Vivian_*

Guest Guest_Vivian_*

I thought I was coping rather well today, all things considered. Last night I thanked some friends who have been very supportive by inviting them to dinner.

More than once the comment was made that I seemed to be "handling" things well. Little do they know. This morning as I left the supermarket I spotted a display of 'Peeps' (those colored marshmallow chicks that appear Easter time)

Each spring I would buy a package of Peeps, in varying colors, and leave it

on Rick's nightstand. It became a kind of running joke for us.

The sight of those Peeps this morning set me off so that I could barely make it to my car before I burst into tears. It amazes me that often I can discuss my husband's death, even with a perfect stranger, with seeming detachmentment while the sound of a song, the smell of lavender or even the sight of a Peep can so easily reduce me to tears.

...Each spring I would buy a package of Peeps, in varying colors, and leave it on Rick's nightstand. It became a kind of running joke for us.

Good Morning Vivian

Sorry that those "Peeps" caused your tears, but sometimes tears can be helpful in this damned journey of grief that we travel together.

I also love those Peeps, but only the yellow ones. :)

I don't have my dear Jeannie to buy them for me anymore so I bought my first pack on my own over the weekend. It's not the same, but it did bring back some good memories of beter times.

(((((((Vivian))))))

Edited by WaltC

I'm so sorry little "peeps" could bring so many tears. Precious memories come..the special little things we all share with our loves. Two fruit trees Gene planted bloomed and will bear fruit this year. Two trees he tenderly cared for.. waiting. This will be the first year they bear fruit. One flowering shrub he planted just for me as I had wanted one for years....it's already blooming for the first time. All this around me and Gene's not with me. Spring was Gene's best season and now it all blooms with pieces of his soul all around me. Precious memories.

Always Gene!

Always!

Hang on to those memories. Someday they may bring a smile to your lips instead of tears to your eyes.

We had a thing about PEEPS. Tom always gave me his Peeps, the bunny ones, and I would give him my whopper eggs. It was a kind of game to ask each other for the candy the other didn't want. We were just like two little kids, I guess. It’s funny, I hadn’t even thought about the Easter rituals until you mentioned the peeps. Who’s going to fill the plastic eggs with coins this year and hide them? Oh, here I go crying again….