Grief Healing Discussion Groups

A Place Revisited

When I first got the news that my husband had had a heart attack, it was nine months ago Friday and I was away at my sister's reunion in Lincoln City Oregon at the coast. This weekend I went with the ladies in my church on a retreat and as luck would have it, we were about two blocks from where I stayed that other eventful weekend. It brought back a flood of memories, so hard, so painful...I remembered so vividly receiving the news, making the phone calls, just wanting to be with him at the hospital and having to wait to be able to see him. It was the last time I got to see him alive. It felt like a major hurdle to go back there.

• 5 months later...

Hi Kay C,

I am glad that you were back around where you were staying that faithful night and I am sorry that it was difficult but being back there could have also let you remember how much he really did love you... I know it was difficult going back but you did do it and it sounds to me that you survived that day... So maybe it was a good thing and maybe he was looking down at you that day... Take care Shelley

Hi Kay, so sad to hear that you had to go through that. I know one day I will have to go through the same thing. I told Carson right after Karen died that we would go back to Disney World again some day. I don't know when as of yet, but I am planning to go back, and I will stay at the same hotel we were going to saty at when we were there. I know when that day comes there will be a lot of memories flooding back in. I can still remember almost every detail of what went on that day, even the smell in the ER room. I think that will be burned into my memory forever. Especially when I told Carson that his mom went to be with Jesus, it just breaks my heart everytime I remember it. On the bright side, some doors are opening up for me to do somethiong I have wanted to do for years and that is to teach children in elementary school, I am on my way to getting my Associates Degree and making that dream come true. I believe with all my heart that this is what God wants me to do. Pray for me as I take this on, and I will pray for you and all the things you have had to go through the last few months and together, we will make it through and be a better person on the other side because of it.

Oh Derek, that is wonderful! You would make a wonderful elementary school teacher, you are so sensitive and caring. I am proud of you as I know Karen would be.