Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Grief Recovery Handbook & Other Good Reads

Hi guys!

I hope this finds everyone well tonight. I pray for everyone on here and I hope you are finding your way towards healing. I have a couple good books I wanted to mention....

I started reading a good book called The Grief Recovery Handbook by John W. James & Russell Friedman. It's a pretty good book, and if you are looking for somehting that can actually help put you on the road to recovering from grief and all the things that go along with it, I highly recommend it. A lot of books on grief are good reads that can be very helpful in dealing with feelings. What I liked about this particular book is that it has exercises that can help you put things into perspective. One of them, which I am working on myself now, is creating a "loss history timeline" I know so many of us on here have experienced more than one loss and divorces and other losses that all contribute to feeling the way we do. I am finding that they aren't all seperate issues! You can also work with a partner or alone...it's pretty cool.

Another good one I've read is A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis...this is a good book that I read just after my mom passed away. It's a good one if your in the stages of kicking and screaming and just trying to deal with your feelings. He lays it all out there....it is like reading someone's journal and he says things a lot of us think but might not say outloud. CS Lewis wrote it after his wife passed away from cancer.

I like CS Lewis, so I started reading another one by him called Mere Christianity I hope it is as good as his other's.

take care everyone....

Kelly

Hey, all. Of the books in my library, I've found these very good:

"Seven Choices: Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters Your World" by Elizabeth Harper Neeld

"Companion Through The Darkness : Inner Dialogues on Grief" by Stephanie Ericsson

"Grieving the Death of a Mother" by Harold Ivan Smith

"A Time to Grieve : Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One" by Carol Staudacher

I haven't finished "Seven Choices" yet. It has a great refernce section in the back for national groups and so forth, including online orgs. (Strangely, Hospice of the Valley ain't listed, nor this website! :angry2: