Grief Healing Discussion Groups

School Should Deal With This

Why is it that school doesn't deal with death? Why? It's like its a no-no, subject not discussed. Anyone any ideas, why is this? Taboo, unthinkable, never going to happen. Yet all of us here know it does. And we all face what that means to us. What the s*** does school teach us if it doesn't teach us to handle this?

Hi Jath,

In my mind of thinking death is something more of something discussed in a spiritual environment. Maybe something discussed in a church group or even amongst close friends and family. The only reason I say that is because there is no right way to grieve, I'm not so sure it can be taught, it seems everybody has thier own way, and thats ok. You asked a very hard question, its just my thoughts, I hope they helped. Maybe others can help more.

Much love and blessings to you my friend,

Sean..................................

Edited by Seanboy

Hi Jathh,

I think Sean is right. It's not something you can teach, although I do think schools should have excellent counselors that young people feel comfortable going to, so that they can get some help with their problems, when they feel they don't have anywhere else to go.

Luckily, with the internet, there are lots of sites (like this one) that you can go to. This site also has some really good articles to read (go to the home page and look for reading materials) that help you understand the stages of grief.

Come back and talk to us, we all care here and will try to help in any way we can.

Hang in there,

Shell

Hi, just my 2 cents.

I understand your venting, but sadly, school is not about teaching you different ways of thinking and constructing ideas based on something, it's about right and wrong. 2+1=3 is right, blue and red make orange is wrong.

Death and grieving are 2 subjects that don't have right or wrong, and no one can tell you you need to cry compulsively during the funeral, and feel a little blue on special days and move on the rest of the time, because some people don't like to cry ever, some people feel they need a long vacation, leaving town or staying in bed for 2 weeks and some people will shield behind work, some people want to be alone and some people need to go out everynight and not feel lonely. Who has the right to tell us any of these are right or wrong? Even us, we can't tell what type of a griever we are or how we will react until something like this happens.

As unspiritual as we may want to get, there are also issues there that cannot be separated. Some people feel comfort in thinking their loved ones are listening to them, and that idea may not strike home for an atheist, and this idea doesn't even come from a specific religion. Even though a lot of our way of thinking is strongly related to how we were educated at home, most of these things we learn ourselves throughout the course of our lives.

Thankyou all of you, yeah, I guess i was venting.

thanks...no, I didn't have a family who talked about anything spiritual, and of little support at this time. So, your words are important to me, even though I don't know you. School isn't the place for this stuff, I'll accept that.

thanks.