Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Lost my Sweet Joe

kayc

When Arlie died, a neighbor offered for me to walk Joe, a chow they'd taken in, knowing I didn't have Arlie to walk anymore and she had little kids so it wasn't easy for her to walk her three big dogs.  I started, right away.  Joe and I developed a special bond, he knew that was our time and it was just for him!  He was nothing like Arlie, yet calm, quiet,  and sweet.  But he bit.  A couple of months in he yanked on my right hand suddenly, doing permanent damage, for which a surgery 13 months later only worsened it.  Ten months in he suddenly turned around and bit my left hand, hard, causing it permanent damage.  I lost my strength down to 10% and have continual pain from them..  I had to quit walking him.

Shortly after I started to walk Joe, his owner offered to let me have him.  I thought about it but being as he'd bitten me at 2 1/2 weeks, I knew I couldn't take in a dog that wouldn't let me take care of him.  It's too bad because I loved him already, and he got along well with Kitty.  We didn't know much of his history except his owner had died two years prior to her taking him in and a drug addict neighbor had him inbetween, going off for days at a time and not feeding him, her family stepped in and took care of him, and they gave him to Lani.

I had been told he was up on his shots, I later (AFTER my bites) learned they had not taken him to a vet.  Not even though he was an older dog, deaf, and going blind, and had a chronic ear infection...it likely caused his loss of hearing.  He appeared to have dementia, which could have played into the bites, the ear infection could have contributed to that as well.  Poor Joe.

Yesterday I saw a post on FB that cut me to the core...she'd posted about her son's haircut and as an aside, mentioned they'd had Joe put to sleep the day before.  They never let me know.  I never got to say goodbye.

I'd been missing Joe when I took my walks, he would always bark a greeting, he had the sweetest gentlest bark, not shrill or piercing like some, but a soft sound, it always got to my heart.  I felt so bad that I couldn't walk him anymore and it made me feel like I let him down.  He'd also attacked my little puppy when he was just 4 1/2 lbs, sound asleep on the couch.  His owner said he was jealous of puppies.  That would have been a good thing to know, I never brought Kodie over again.

But poor Joe, you deserved better than what happened in your life.  No one will know exactly what caused you to bite, I learned AFTER my bad one that you'd bit everyone in their family, even the little kids, they're lucky I was the one that got the worst bite, not one of the little ones.  My heart breaks, I won't hear you bark anymore, I won't get to pet your soft fur or look into those soft brown eyes or kiss you on your head.  I will miss seeing you try to gallop after your brother and sister.  I say "try" because you were very arthritic.  When I started walking you I noticed you were limping badly, so I gave them CBD oil for you, which I gladly supplied, the next day you walked normally.  At least I was able to help you with that.

I love you Joe, and it breaks my heart that I won't see you anymore, do you KNOW I love you?  That breaks my heart all the more, I hope you know.  My sweet Joe.

Joe 123021.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I should mention, Joe's owner was a dog trainer before she had kids.  She claimed to know....

I'm sorry for your loss. Joe was beautiful.

It pains me to hear he was just a second thought on someone's facebook post. I don't have facebook but if I did and one of my companion animals died, they would have their own unique post in celebration of their life and the loss of it. 

• Like 1

That is how I feel.  I made my own post about him for my family/friends to read, they know how I feel about him.  He was a beautiful chow, had a hard life, sweet, he was prone to bite but I might have been too if I had his pain.  ;)

• Like Copy 1

20 hours ago, kayc said:

That is how I feel.  I made my own post about him for my family/friends to read, they know how I feel about him.  He was a beautiful chow, had a hard life, sweet, he was prone to bite but I might have been too if I had his pain.  ;)

I'm glad you did that. He deserves recognition. :wub:

I've always thought that in most cases of aggression with dogs it's lack of proper training. The dog can't be blamed for not being taught and it's sad when these things happen.

• Like 1

LOL, she is a dog trainer!  Her dogs both attacked Kodie, not to mention my bites!  But I still love Joe.  I don't fault him, I think being a Chow and having a LOT of pain did it.  I can't imagine what it's like being deaf in a dog's world.

• Like 1