Grief Healing Discussion Groups

One Year Anniversaries

STARKISS

Hi it is Starkiss again,

I had my mom's one year anniversary come up in April 2005, and eventhough it was extremely hard on me this day I did manage to go and buy some special balloons that said certain words on them and I went to the park where it was nice and quiet and I said a few words about my mom and how I miss her so very much. I than let the balloons go and watched them rise up to the sky. And since than it has been a little easier emotionally but you will always have good and bad days. I hope when it comes time for my dad's one year this August I can do the same thing. I hope if you read this it will help in some way I know that it will be hard on all you have lost someone but remember it is better to have loved than not love at all. Take care and God bless you all.

Hi All,

I have decided to take enough balloons to my brother's where we are able to have our family picnic. This picnic was my mom's idea four years ago, Last year it was cancelled due to the deaths of my two most loved parents. We promised my mom we would continue this picnic even after she was gone. So it is happening on the 19th of August this year. So as a great big thank you to my mom and dad I thought if everyone had a balloon and released it into the air it would be one big thank you for my mom and dad. I just do not know if the other family members would agree with me. If they do not I will not something a little different all by myself. What would you do?????

Hi Shell,

I will definitely tell how it goes, I want to thank you for all the encouraging words you have write for me. I thank God for this website and everyone who is taking part with it.. I am sorry for everyones loss but I am glad to have this website to help us all deal with what we have too... Take care and I will let you know Shelley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shell,

Today was the family picnic and I did not do the balloon thing I was planning to do... My thoughts were that the family would not understand and being the picnic was for everyone I chose not to do it... I will go the end of next week and get some balloons and do it in a nearby park... I think that I will get three balloons and do one for each of our family members who have gone... My mom, Her brother Colin, and My dad... I am sorry I did not do it but just did not want to make waves... Take care Shelley

Hi, Shelley:

I am sure your family members have their way of communicating with family who is gone. Maybe later, when you feel better, you can start talking about this idea to the ones closest to you, and take it from there.

I was thinking of writting a letter to my mother and burning it, something I haven't had the energy to do yet, but I think your balloon idea is marvelous. I think I will add this to my Day of the Dead this year, if you allow me to borrow your idea.

So, how did it go?

Hi, all:

On the first anniversary of my Mom's death (coming up this Nov 7th) I am scheduled to take a training class for a Fransiscan volunteer thing that I have. The class title? "Spiritual Aspects of Dying" Oh, I can't wait!

I'm trying to take the optimistic approach and regard it as a coincidence meant to teach me something. Being made to think, again...

Paul

Hi All,

I went to the C.N.E. today, this was the first time since my parents died..Incase you do not know what the C.N.E. is stands for the Canadian National Exabition... It is a yearly thing in Toronto.... My parents used to take us every year... It was a little sad at first but I did have a great day... Take care Shelley

Hi Shell and Starkiss...your posts have me thinking about my mom's 3rd year anniversary Aug 23...somehow the sadness doesn't go away and I miss hearing her laugh (although my aunts say I sound like my mom) I also look a lot like her too and when I enter a room during a family gathering, everyone looks and the expressions are ones of Oh, Look, It's Nancy... and then realization when they see me...; and then I feel bad...We suspect my mom's death was a suicide and that always makes it hard to talk about with anyone since it is not socially acceptable. My sister has been acting up with drugs as this anniversary goes by and her son was taken away by the state due to abuse and neglect...which is sad in and of itself. I dreamt of her the last couple of nights and when I woke up I felt like I had to tell her something important as we were having a discussion in my dream and I was actually going to call her and then I realized she wasn't there which was a real bummer as dreams can seem SO real...

Anyway, Balloons are a good thing to do, but I just might go to the cemetary and tidy it up.

I am going to post a poem...

Take care...D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi It is me again,

Here I am Starkiss, and I am coming up yet with another first anniversary this time it is being away from my childhood home. I think that people might laugh but after living there for twenty six years I miss it alot.. Take care and God Bless You All Shelley