Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Devasting News About My Dear Dog

avsqr_dancer

Hi Dancer,

How wonderful is that!!! I hope that both of you have a wonderful homecoming and I know it is not over but it does look very encouraging so I am still praying for you both and once again that news is so very, very wonderful. Take care Shelley

Yes, it is great news. I do assume there is still a long road ahead of us, but this is such a positive sign. She's obviously a fighter and I choose to believe that she will continue to fight. She has every reason to! And I am very hopeful the diet will help, as it has with other animals that I have read about. So thank you for your continued support and prayers. And I will take it one day at a time.

Now I just can't wait to see her again.

Latest update. Tawny is home now and she seems to be doing well to me. She sure is hungry!! I need to take her to the vet's again on Thursday and this is the next big hurdle and important day. She is NOT out of danger yet. The vet will test her again to see if her numbers are still down without the treatment. So please keep her in your prayers. Although the numbers went down almost 100 points, they are still double what is normal. I think ideally the vet would like to see them in the normal range, but I think he'll be satisfied just to see them staying down. And he did give her the low protein, special kidney diet dog food.

She was SO excited to see us, as we were to see her. I'll will let you know what happens on Thursday.

Good day to all and God bless.

Hi Dancer,

It is a thrill to hear that Tawny is doing so much better and even though she is not out of the woods this is just a step forward for her and you. Take care and here's to more and more steps for the both of you God Bless You both and I am keeping you in my prayers Shelley

Just another quick thank you for all your prayers and your support. Thursday morning is a critcal day. She goes to the vet to check to see if her numbers are still down without the treatment. I find myself physically and emotionally exhausted from all this stress. So I am going to try to to to bed early tonight. I have an interview tomorrow for a teaching position at our local community college, so I need to be on top of my game. Blessings to all of you.

Everythnig will be okay, I just feel it. Good luck with your interview and let us know how it goes.

Lord, be with avsqr_dancer and Tawny as the vet looks at her numbers again, I pary that her number will be down. Be with the vet as he helps to heal Tawny. I pray also that you be with avsqr_dancer in her interview and that she will know that you are with her. Wrap your loving arms around her during this difficult time and give her peace. May she know that you are carrying her through this. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Dear Dancer and Tawny,

I know that you are both going through so very much right now, But I want you both to know that we are all here for you and that we will continue to be here for you. We will say prayers and just be good listeners when you need to talk. I am saying a special prayer right now for you both and I will continue with extra prayers on Thursday, Take care and God Bless you both Shelley

Good afternoon.

I had a scare this morning with Tawny. But I think she's okay now. Not sure I am though! This not knowing anything for sure and this waiting is just so stressful. Tawny didn't seem to want to eat her breakfast this morning, so I started by hand feeding her. She only ate about half. And of course, I know not eating is NOT a good sign. But then she went outside to "do business," I assume and then came back and then did eat the rest of her breakfast without any persuasion and seemed to be looking for more food. Then I noticed she was shaking a great deal. I read articles on kidney disease in dogs things and one symptom is tremors. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Well the truth is that she does have kidney disease, and we are just hoping that her BUN numbers and other numbers will remain low enough (without IV treatment) to manage the disease. Also she has always been a timid dog, and has trembled, shaked for a lot of reasons. She may have sensed my own fear/lack of calm over her not eating right away. I know I have to stay calm for her, but that can be tough, esp for a person like me. Anyway she seems fine now-she's resting and I'll soon feed her lunch-and see how she does then. Anyway thanks again for being here.

avsqr_dancer,

I will be in prayer for you both. I hope all goes well with the interview, just remember to ask for God's will and if this is the place he needs you to be in order for him to work through you. I will be in College Station tomorrow for Karen'sa neice's graduation, so I will not be able to post any replies until Saturday night, but my Blackberry is linked to my e-mail and I will be able to see what is posted, so if anything happens that needs a special prayer post it here or send me a personel message and I will pray for you when I get it.

Again good luck and God be with you.

Just wanted to let all you wonderfully supportive people know that Tawny seemed better in the afternoon and in the evening. We leave very soon for another all important vet appt-to check her numbers since being off the treatment. So keep your good thoughts and prayers coming, as I am doing too. And I continue talking to my dear furbaby. I'll let you know the results when I return.

Hi all,

The news I got at the vets was NOT good. Her number-BUN-is up again. Double what it was when she left the vets on Monday. But the vet also said that she is continuing to defy the odds. Just by looking at her, she looks and acts like a totally healthy dog. She wasn't even particularly dehydrated today. So I am not happy of course, and still quite concerned, but I am also not as freaked as I have been. I will try as hard as I can to just take each day as it comes and give and receive all the love and joy we can give each other for as long as we can have her. And the vet cannot say how long that will be cuz she has already stayed healthier longer than expected. I will not let her suffer, so that if it comes to that, I will know what I have to do. Meanwhile she stays on the same diet and he will show me how to give the fluid treatment through her fur if/when that becomes necessary. I don't think there is anything more I or he can do at this point. Only hope and pray that she can still have a long and healthy life even at this number with this disease. I will take her back again Monday morning to check numbers again.

Hi Dancer and Tawny,

I am so sorry to hear about the vet visit but maybe it is just one of those things and maybe the numbers will drop down again.. I will keep praying for you both and ask God to keep you both close to Him and to give you both the strength to go on.... Take care Shelley

When my dear husband came home yesterday afternoon, he totally "burst my bubble" and totally upset me, although that is not what he meant to do (about Tawny's chances). But he does not believe that I am being realsitic. He says that her BUN number doubling in less than 3 days without the treatment is a VERY BAD SIGN. He says he just wants me to be prepared so I won't come crashing down again. But how can one prepare for the possibility of having to put down a beloved dog who isn't even 2 years old, much less, at any age?

He loves her very much also and does not want to lose her. He wants to have hope and see her continue to defy the odds, but he just doesn't really believe that realistically that can happen.

So now all I feel is intense pain and total fear. I can't even hope anymore and even praying and talking to Tawny is hard.

I think I already shared that I just finished school-I got an MA in English, and am now looking for a job. So the fact that I home alone all day doesn't help. Well not alone, but with my 3 furbabies, Tanner and Tawny, and my cat, Scooter.

I know that no one can take away my pain, but as I've said here before, being online, writing and reading replies is my one small comfort.

Oh, I read some more articles on kidney disease in dogs-wish I hadn't-one thing they said is dogs don't normally do as well as cats. And I have heard of a few cats that have survived, like yours, Maylissa. But truth is I've only heard of one dog.

Okay, thanks again for being here.

Hi Dancer and Tawny,

I am sorry for what your husband said but we all deal with a possible death differently and He is just trying to deal the best way he can... SO try not to take it too seriously but again he loves you so much that he wants to spare you more possible pain... I will continue to pray for you all and hope with God's help you all with get through this. Shelley

Thank you, Shelly.

I suppose at this point that is all I can hope for. That some how with God's help, I will get through it. Actually, no matter what I know I will get through it. I have suffered a lot of loss in my life and have always gotten through, but not without a lot of grief and pain. But unfortunately, I realize there is no way around that!

Serl