Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Don't Know If I Can Go On.....

mnkitten

I am so sorry for your guilt and for your pain. But it sounds like he was probably suffering for awhile, as you grappled with this very difficult decision. But you did NOT kill him, you had him euthanized, probably on the reccomendation of the vet, when there really wasn't anything left to do. You ended his suffering, the ultimate unselfish thing to do. I understand your feelings. I had to put down my not even quite 2 year old dog who had kidney failure. As her symptoms began to worsen, I took her in to the vets. She might have been able to go on another few days, but I already knew what would happen as she got sicker and sicker, and since nothing more could be done to save her, we (husband and I) decided to let her go before she suffered anymore. At first, I also felt like I had killed her, but again, what I did was end her suffering by euthanizing her. I hope with time, you will come to accept this, and at least feel some peace.

mnkitten,

I also lost my constant companion about six weeks ago. I was devastated and could not believe how hard it was to get through the days. (For me the nights were actually worse) Everywhere I looked and everything I did reminded me she was gone. Please remember that you are not alone.

It really helped me to read some of the excellent articles on this site about grieving, guilt, etc. I was amazed at the comfort I got from learning more about the grief process - it also helped when I shared what I learned with my husband.

You have made one of the hardest decisions anyone has to make. Toto was fortunate to be a part of your family. God bless you for your courage.

My prayers are with you and your family

Fern