Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Worried Again

avsqr_dancer

I just had to write this post, and this is the right site because I know that you will all understand. I need to take Sweet Pea (my new puppy) to the vet tomorrow. The reason: excessive itching/scratching for the past few days. Now it seems that the rest of us-my other dog, as well as my H and myself also feel itchy all over. Now-the reason I am worried is cuz I looked in a dog book, which listed the most common reasons, and the last one on the list was total body immune-system disease, like liver disease, or even cancer. Now I realize that cancer or other diseases are NOT contagious, and if we are all itching for the same reason, it is much more likely to be some kind of bug/parasite, or maybe even kind of infection. We don't have fleas up here, but of course, we have many other culprits.

But ever since what happened to Tawny, I don't trust anything, and now know that anything is possible, no matter what the age of the dog. Okay, I knew that before, but now I have lived it! As much as I like the vet we go to, I really hate going there, ever since that horrible day that he had to deliver the devastating news-for those who don't know me-she had kidney failure at only 2 years old, and a week and a half later, she had to be put down.

Anyway, I should know better than to look at books-they present all scenarios, including the worst. But I just had to write here to express my fears with people who would understand and not just think I am crazy and paranoid. We go tomorrow afternoon, so I'lll write what happens after that. Thanks for being here.

Serl

Oh, Serl, PLEASE don't worry! If more than one of you is itchy, it's most likely just some kind of insect or mite. Just a word of caution though - IF it's fleas, please don't use any of those standard, chemical-based flea collars, baths, soaps, etc. as they can CAUSE kidney &/or liver damage. There are plenty of natural products out now, and other natural methods to treat insects on our furbabies. In the meantime, you COULD try giving your baby ( and yourselves! ) raw garlic &/or nutritional yeast, as these both help stave off things like fleas and other bugs. You can usually see fleas hop, if you look at yours and Sweet Pea's bedding, etc. And a black light (remember those?) can make mites visible..if you have one. It might even be some kind of allergic reaction to something new you've introduced into the home. And if the vet offers steroids or steroidal preparations...again, I'd urge you to think twice, as these too pose all sorts of internal risks and don't cure anything, but just stop the body's natural response and only mask symptoms and can actually make conditions reappear again and again. I'm not trying to increase the fear in you, but I also believe you'd want the best for your baby, so I'd feel irresponsible to just sit on the fence about this. But please try to focus on it only being either bugs or a skin condition...neither the easiest thing to deal with, but certainly not fatal, either!

And again, like a broken record, I am....these are the times when having a homeopathic vet would be invaluable, as nothing poisonous would ever be prescribed and symptoms like these can so often be addressed by homeopathics....even for the entire family! (sorry, but I just can't say ENOUGH about this system of healing/treatment!!)

Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you and waiting with bated breath to hear what the vet finds. Take care.

Edited by Maylissa

I was going to say it could be allergies. Right now my oldest dog Odin is still scratching away. We haven't had a frost in this areas and mold spores from the leaves along what ever our hot air system might be blowing into the house I'm sure is making him that way.

Thanks Maylissa and Diane, for helping to put my mind at ease! Yesterday was when DH recommended taking Sweet Pea to the vet after finding out that I am also itching, as is he. I had trying to give her cool baths, but that didn't seem to help. So yes, it does make sense that if we are all having this problem, that it is more than likely some kind of bug or an allegen recently introduced into the house.

Maylissa, I don't mind your suggestions at all. Actually ever since I have "met" you, I have been considering a homeopathic vet also. I'm not sure if we have any up here, but I am planning to look into it and to consider it. You went to both vets with Nissa, didn't you? Both a regular and a homeopathic vet? I hear what you are saying about the possible "cures" for the various problems that she may have. Just like with humans, huh? Drugs that can help one problem can also cause another problem. Frustrating to say the least. One of the things that I do like about this vet is he doesn't rush to do anything too drastic. So we'll see what he says and I'll certainly let you know. At this point, honestly, I hope he can find a cause that can help all of us. You know about the power of suggestion? Every since Rick, my H asked about my itching, it seems to have gotten even worse. LOL!

Serl,

Yes, more or less...we had a distance homeopathic vet plus the local one who was both allopathic and holistic. She practised Traditional Chinese Medicine to a degree (or TCM, for short), accupuncture, some Western Herbal, supplements, was a proponent of a raw food diet, was also a homeopath (but our distance vet was more experienced in this, and didn't 'water it down' with allopathic medicine - left that practise behind many years ago) and now is currently starting to also take training in osteopathy as well. The problem with her was that she was a) always away for training/upgrading on these modalities, and B) didn't always USE all of her training, as she was so busy, and often with allopathic clients. That's why I decided to go with the distance vet as primary vet. He, on the other hand, ALWAYS returned my calls promptly and was seldom away...his service was unsurpassed, as was his compassion and reasoning. He also required his clients to make him primary vet, (with a local one on hand as well for tests, prescriptions, etc. if needed)as one has to commit more fully to this way of healing and its ideas, otherwise you'll just be at odds and fighting the system throughout treatment.

So a homeopathic vet (or even a homeopath for humans) doesn't have to be local, although it would be handier if they were, but it's not necessary. Ours no longer even had an clinic of his own, ever since I knew him, so did ALL his work via phone consults, with clients all over the world. Many of them work this way. If you're interested, I have at least one list of homeo. vets you could check out, plus ours of course.

Well, of course it's just like humans. Animals are more the same than different, are still biological beings and suffer more and more of the same afflictions that humans do...unlike about 30+ years ago, when they were healthier and didn't get the same diseases they now do and in the increasing #'s they now suffer. Alot of that has to do with diet, plus the sorry state of the earth and its food and air 'quality'. I'm glad to see you're starting to make that connection, as most people don't want to think about it. For us, much of Nissa's food was actually 'cleaner' than ours, at least when she was still eating her raw food diet - all organic. Only the best for my girl! She also got more supplements than even I was taking, through the years. Sabin, unfortunately, wasn't around to benefit from as much of what I learned over the years with Nissa. But if I were to do it all again, I'd start out different from the very beginning, with their precious lives. I didn't know much when they were young and so they began their lives eating cheap and terrible food....I just set them up to fail when they were developing. Now I know much better.

I, myself, suffered from strange, incredibly itchy bites, for about 5 years running, starting each spring or early summer and it even started affecting my H to a lesser degree after 2 years...yet Nissa was always okay! It gradually got worse and worse, until I got a positive diagnosis of it being some type of insect (that apparently liked ME a LOT!), so I turned to homeopathics rather than the riskier antihistamine that was prescribed. This last year, I only got a very few bites and they cleared up much faster. I also had a rash that wouldn't go away, over the last 1.5 years, so found a better homeopath for myself (went through 3 other ones first) and now it's simply gone, after repeating just ONE remedy a few times over a few months. I don't expect it to return now, ever. So using a homeopath with at LEAST quite a few years' experience is best and one that is trained and dedicated to CLASSICAL homeopathy seems to be even better still - some use combination remedies, which I don't really believe in for most applications. Our vet had been doing classical homeopathy for many years before I found him, as was my current doc.

Nissa's Reiki practioner (also distance work) also uses a number of vets, but her primary is an allopathic vet....who's incredibly good, though, and they ALL work as a team. You just need to get their cooperation, and if they resist, that tells you something about their egos, versus putting the health of their patients first and foremost. So hopefully, if you went this route, your local vet would cooperate...and even learn something NEW from the experience. Most good vets are nothing but pleased when they see they don't have to be as personally frustrated in the often-lacklustre performance of allopathic treatments for so many disorders, as things clear up or remain stabilized with these other modalities, and are only too happy to allow you to use other methods that truly WORK. Many of these methods can also be used in tandem with allopathic treatment when it's still needed, and there are times when this is so. But there's also much that can be avoided entirely by using alternative medicine instead.

So I hope you find Sweet Pea's problem isn't anything terrible, or is at least something that will give you time to research before starting treatment, IF you're not happy with the prescribed treatment. And just perhaps, this event is also a personal message to you about growth and learning being something you might consider for the benefit of all of you. Whatever the case, I've got my fingers crossed and my intentions out there for the best possible news for the greatest good of Sweet Pea and the rest of your family!

Maylissa,

I will read your post later, as I am very interested in this.

I have been so busy and so tired these past few days. But I just wanted to let you all know that the vet couldn't find anything at all wrong with Sweet Pea. He checked her out thouroughly and couldn't find any bugs/parasites or any skin lessions or any skin trouble at all. He said she looked and acted very healthy, and was happy to hear that she drinks and eats real well!! And ironically enough, we are all beginning to feel better-less itchy. Maybe it was some kind of allergen, and it is also very dry up here, so it might be that too. He did say children's Benedryl can be used if it gets real bad. But I may try what you recommended first, Maylissa. But for now I'll just watch her. Needless to say, I am relieved!

Serl,

Well, PHEW! I'm SO glad nothing terrible was found...although mysteries aren't necessarily much better, either!

One thing you COULD try right now though, is getting some "Bach" 'Crabapple' flower essence and mixing 2 drops in 1 oz.purified water in a sterlized glass spray bottle and using this to spray Sweet Pea 4x/day. Crabapple is a good FE for cleansing and purification, both inner and outer, and is often used for parasites, etc. ( the Benadryl, naturally, I have concerns about )

Let me know if you need any help with this or other things, once you're more rested from the stress.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon.

Hi Maylissa,

I agree that mysteries are not always better, but I do feel better because the vet said that she looked and acted so healthy. And she and the rest of us do seem to be getting much less itchy. I have mixed feelings about Benedryl too (and I knew you would!), but for now, I'm just going to watch her.

I really do like this vet because he is very compassionate and obviously cares about both the animals and their owners. But going to him does bring back bad memories. When sitting with Sweet Pea waiting to go in, I told her everything would be fine. Well, I told Tawny that too, and obviously everything was NOT fine. I know at some point, there is nothing we can do for any one or any animal that we love, but that memory brings new tears to my eyes. Then I was also thinking about how healthy he said SP looked and acted. And I was remembering that Tawny really wasn't acting that healthy when we took her in (well, of course, that is why I took her in the first place), at least she didn't have SP's energy, or probably her appetite. Anyway, I'm thinking of things that are useless now, but I knew you'd understand so that is why I wanted to share it here.

Serl,

Well, if by "useless" you mean the things that can't be changed, then, yes, I know what you mean. These kinds of memories often give us a really sickening feeling inside. And yet, they're not really 'useless' in that they contribute to our growth and in helping us to know ourselves that much better. So in this wholistic way, it can help us with our grieving process, too.

I've had to enter a vet clinic, too, of late to sign a petition going to our federal government about increasing the fines and sentences for animal abusers ( there was an absolutely horrific case of this not too far north from us a couple of wks. ago ), and it was very distressing just being in there and seeing other animals needing care, even though they weren't my own. But I also remember the feeling of which you speak from the time ( that seems now like a decade ago, but was only 6.5 yrs. ago ) we had to take Nissa in with respiratory symptoms only 2 wks after Sabin passed...only to find out her kidneys had been affected. So it was even WORSE news than I'd expected! I was a total basket case after that.

So I'm so glad you were able to at least get GOOD news about Sweet Pea! :) The relief must be SUCH a gift! I'm sure you will be most vigilant about hers and Tanner's health and that should serve you all quite well in the future. And it's good you have a good rapport with your vet, too. That's critical for whenever you might need to rely on them. I would only encourage you to make sure you bring forward ANY concerns you ever have, as it's their duty to address them when needed. And if their answers leave you wanting, then it might also be time to listen to yourself as well. But for now, just go give them both some hugs and snuggles and think happiness and "LIFE"!! :D

Hi Maylissa,

Yes, by useless, I do mean things that can't be changed now. But it is true that I know more about what signs or symptoms to look for with kidney problems.

Yes, so far this vet has addressed all that I have asked. If you call and he is unavaiable, he will call back as soon as possible. And he knows how devastated I felt when we had to put Tawny down.

I know too well the feeling of going to the vets expecting something to not be that bad, and that getting such horrible news. And only 2 weeks after the death of Sabin-no wonder you were such a basket case, how horrible that must have been for you.

Thanks. I will give Tanner and Sweet Pea all the loving they can stand, which with animals is so so much.