Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Larger Avatar Size?

Maylissa

Just part of my own personal wish list for this site...it would really be nice if a slightly larger avatar size was available. It's often so hard to clearly see such tiny images, especially when there is more than one person or animal in the picture.

Also, another feature one other site has that I really like is the function that actually wraps any quote inside a nice, neat, lined box. I find this much cleaner-looking and makes the quote stand out w/o having to add a different colour to the print. It also makes it totally obvious that it's a quote from someone else.

No real biggies...just wishes, if they could ever be incorporated. Thanks.

it would really be nice if a slightly larger avatar size was available.

Okay, Maylissa -- as I said, I'm not very good at these computer issues, but here goes. I figured out how to change the avatar size in the Administrative Control Panel, and I increased it to 90 x 90 pixels (the maximum size this board will allow). Then I still had to go into the Avatar Options screen and re-load my own avatar picture, which did have the effect of increasing the size of my own avatar somewhat from what it was before. So before the change will take effect for your own avatar, you need to do the following:

Click on your own name (wherever it appears on the site), in order to be taken to your own "Viewing Profile" page.

Go to the very bottom of the page, where you'll see

Edit my Signature · Avatar Options · Edit my Profile

Click on Avatar Options.

(You can also get there by clicking on your My Controls option at the top of the page, then on the left side, under "Personal Profile," click on Edit Avatar Settings.)

Once on the "Your Avatar Settings" page, scroll down to the "Upload a new image from your computer" option. Using the "Browse" feature, find the picture of Nissa and Sabin on your own computer, double click on it, and when the URL address appears in the rectangular address box, click on the "Update Avatar" button and your bigger photo should appear in all your posts.

Right now, when I right-click on your avatar photo, and then left-click on "Properties," it indicates that the size of your avatar photo is 58 x 64 pixels, so doing this should increase the size to some degree.

Would you be willing to try this and then let me know if it works for you?

Also, another feature one other site has that I really like is the function that actually wraps any quote inside a nice, neat, lined box. I find this much cleaner-looking and makes the quote stand out w/o having to add a different colour to the print. It also makes it totally obvious that it's a quote from someone else.

I know the feature you're describing, Maylissa, and I think we had that feature on the earlier rendition of this board. Unfortunately, though, I simply cannot figure out how to activate it now -- and I'm not even sure it's an option in this newer renditon of the Invision Power Board. If it is an option, I certainly am having a peck of trouble locating it in the Admin. Control Panel.

I will pass your suggestion on to the computer folks at Hospice of the Valley to see if they have any suggestions. Give me some time to work on it, okay? ;)

In the meantime, of course, you could always ask your husband if he has any ideas for us! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Marty,

Okay, we followed your instructions and it says the pic is now expanded...though it doesn't look much different to me. To get them any bigger, whoever programmed the site would have to change the parameters of what's available, size-wise. So we've done what we can here unless the size can be further changed from their end. Thanks for your help and for passing this onto the appropriate people!