Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hope This Helps Someone

starrgirl

I woke up about 3:00 a.m. unable to go back to sleep, so got up and read in a little book given me by my hospice counselor, The Lord is My Shepherd: A Psalm for the Grieving by Victor M. Parachin. I thought I would share what I found there. It spoke to me; maybe it will help someone else.

Christopher Columbus sailed for 69 days without seeing land. His crew was fearful, restless and rebellious as they headed toward an uncertain destination through terrible storms and uncharted waters. It had to be very difficult for him to keep his eyes on the goal and press on.

One of his journal entries was very brief but very telling. It simply said, "This day we just sailed on." There was no discernible progress, no indication of how much longer the journey would last, no land sighting to encourage them. So he did the only thing he could do: "This day we just sailed on."

I'm sure you see the parallel with our individual grieving journeys. Our journeys are filled with confusion and uncertainty. It's hard to know if we're just beginning, in the middle, or nearing the end of the trip. Some days all we can say is, "This day I just sailed on."

Parachin says, "During those days when progress is hard to measure, try repeating to yourself the second verse of the Twenty-third Psalm: 'He leads me beside still waters.'"

"God is like a good shepherd guiding us to a place of safety and peace."

Parachin added this prayer and the following 'affirmations.'

"Prayer

Loving God, though I may feel frightened and lonely as I journey through grief, help me trust you to guide me safely.

Affirmations

My healing is going to take time, but I will heal.

I will be patient and accepting of myself.

I believe God wants my highest good."

Hope this helps someone as much as it's helped me.

Sailing on,

Martha

• 2 weeks later...