Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Fears

Hi All,

Has anyone felt their fears get worst since they lost their loved one... I know mine have... I have a real fear of learning to drive a car... I think it is because I have been in a car accident a few times in the last five years and I just fear that I might cause one or even kill someone because of my driving... before my parents died I was going to get my license but now I am totally freaked out about the whole thing.... I will never drive... Shelley

Mine is fear of death. i am terrified of it now. i am really not sure why and i am trying to work on it with my priest. i meet with him every week. i also have these crazy fears. i fear that i will get sick (not life threatening) fear about my children and the list goes on. i think mine comes from the anxiety that i have. i take meds which are helping to control the attacks so they don't go into those panic attacks i was having. Lori

I fear all sorts of things. I think it's just the loss of security we feel. Losing a loved one, and maybe even particularly in the case of a parent, makes you feel so alone and like the whole weight of the world is on your shoulders now...to be handled by you! It's a terrible feeling. The person that most of us could always turn to for help and comfort is gone. And our anxiety levels hit the roof.

Hugs to both of you,

Shell

Shelley,

It could be, there are certainly all sorts of phobias out there! But I do think losing your parents has also made you lose your confidence, which is perfectly normal. I feel that too. Maybe after more time has gone by, you will be able to learn to drive. Just put it on hold until you feel capable. Hang in there.

Hugs,

Shell

Hi Shell,

Thank you for your reply, I think now that my fears are for the future.. After all I can not hide out in my sister's house for the rest of my life can I? I fear what is going to happen to me and what my life will turn out like now.... Take care Shelley