Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Cat Kathy

Brenda

I had to put our 14 yr old cat Kathy to sleep 2 days ago. She had heart and thyroid problems that needed medicine daily and really bad arthritis. This past weekend she started throwing up all the time and had another kidney infection. She was in the litterbox for almost 24 hrs straight and was so weak she would just lay in her litterbox. I finally decided Saturday that I couldn't stand to see her hurting anymore and took her to an emergency animal clinic to have her put to sleep. I went in with her because I didn't want her to be scared. Now I kinda wish I hadn't because I just keep seeing that IV in her little arm and when they put the injection in she went down like a rag doll just limp. The second injection stopped her heart in just a few seconds. I have cried off and on for 2 days straight now. I feel like maybe I should have tried more medicine or something to keep her around until she died naturally. I keep finding her little balls and toy mice around the house and after having her here for 14 yrs, it is like one of my children died and this house seems so empty I know this will take a long time for me to get over so please keep me and my family in your prayers. Thanks.

Oh Brenda,

You are in our hearts and prayers already, the moment you found us and posted on this site. Please, when you have the time to do so and you are "in the mood," do spend some time reading through the messages posted in the various threads in this forum ~ you will find that here, you are surrounded by kindred spirits, animal lovers all, and you are not alone.

In the beginning, those awful images of Kathy's last moments are foremost in your mind, because those memories are the freshest and most recent ones. That is normal and to be expected. I promise you that the day will come when you will take comfort in the knowledge that yours was the last face your precious Kathy gazed upon as her spirit left this earthly plane.

Please visit the pages of my Grief Healing Web site while you're online, too, where you will find additional information, comfort, and support. And by all means, come back and tell us what was special about Kathy. (I absolutely love that name ~ one of my dearest friends in the whole world is named Kathy.)

Wishing you peace and healing,

Marty T

Hi Brenda,

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved Kathy, I can not imagine what you are going through right now... But you have come to a great place here, the people here really do care and unstand what you are going through... My brother recently put down his two beloved cats fatcat and spike... I think that our cats are happy they are with other friendly cats and eventhough we are apart they will love us until we see them again... I will pray for you and ask God to give you the strength to go on... And one day you will see Kathy and she will come running over to you as if you were never apart and you will than be never apart again... But until than remember that you had some great times with Kathy and you can have her close to you as long as you remember those great times until you see each other again Take care Shelley

I received a sympothy card through the mail today from the clinic that put my cat to sleep on Saturday. It had a beautiful poem in it about the rainbow bridge and our animals playing in a meadow and waiting for us to get there and go over the bridge with us. It was pretty but got me crying again reading it. I have to say, that I truly don't believe our animals have souls/spirits or have an afterlife, but that is just my feeling I guess. But I got talking to my mom about that poem and she got me laughing today. She was saying that with all the animals that we have had over the years(cats,dogs,birds,hampsters, rats,lizards,fish), if they were all waiting there for her and saw her and came running at her, they would trample her and they probably would not let her in heaven with that many animals behind her. She said she would need an ark or something. :) I spent alot of time today at her house playing with her two cats. They are sweeties too, but never would be like my Kathy girl( or as I sometimes called her--I don't know why-- but "Missy Boo-Boo head". But just holding her black and white syvester kitty healed my heart a little today.

I am so sorry for your loss and I know how difficult it is for you right now. I think that making the decision to put down an animal is one of the most difficult ones we will ever make, but also one of the most humane. Once an animal is suffering and we know there is nothing more that can be done, by letting them go and end their suffering, we are committed an act of true unselfishness, doing what is best for them, not for us. I had to make the decision to put down my precious Tawny, my dear dog who was only 1 1/2 years old, but had kidney failure. No more could be done so my DH and I decdided to let her go and to euthanize her before she could suffer any more needlessly. But I couldn't stay with her because I was crying too hard, and I didn't want to upset her any more. But I agree with Marty, and as hard as it was, I admire you for being able to be with her at the end. You and your family are in my prayers. I do not know what I believe about an afterlife for anyone, but I would like to believe that I will see Tawny again and that she is fine now whevever she is.