Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Went Into His Closet..

fixyou

I was in my parents' room today...

My dad's closet is right next to my mom's. We still haven't removed his clothing and shoes and such yet.. it's only been three weeks. I opened up his closet and I just hugged all of his clothes as tight as I could.. if only I could have been hugging him. He was a big guy and I remember wrapping my arms around him so vividly and giving him big hugs.. he gave such great hugs. I was smelling his shirts and I just broke down. I knew they had already been washed and he hadn't worn them yet.. I was so disappointed that his smell wasn't there. I wanted to smell him again. He had such a distinct 'dad' smell. It was a mixture between his cologne and his hairspray he used. I wanted to smell that so badly and I was mad that it wasn't there anymore. I miss my dad. So much.

Thanks for listening.

-Claire

Claire,

I am so sorry about your dad. I am glad you found this site, there are wonderful, helpful people here.

I understand about wanting to smell your dad's clothing. I lost my mom a year ago and my dad Oct.2 of this year. I didn't keep much of my parent's clothing, I wish I had. I did keep my mom's perfume that she always wore, I find it comforting to wear it. Please keep posting and take care of yourself. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Hi Claire,

You are going through one of the hardest things in your young life, and I'm so sorry. I know you miss your dad so much. I lost my husband about two years ago and I will miss him the rest of my life. I'm a grandmother and I have two wonderful grandchildren, and my kids, that bring me a lot of comfort. There's not much to say that will help you right now, just coming here and writing down your feelings does help and knowing that all the feelings you have are very normal, even though it might not seem that way sometimes. And remember your dad loves you and wants you and your family to be fine, it just takes time. You take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)