Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Need Help Dealing With Home Improvement Contractors

KathyG

Saw some good car buying tips on another thread, but does anyone have good advice on how to avoid being swindled by home improvement contractors?

My husband's wonderful qualities didn't include any handyman or construction skills, but my house desperately needs new flooring, a new countertop in the bathroom and a few other miscellaneous fixes. I'd like to get these things done, but I'm afraid that because I'm a widow the contractors I choose will take advantage by overcharging me and/or doing shabby work.

I've never had to hire a contractor by myself before and don't know how to tell the bad guys from the good. I've asked friends and family to recommend someone, but they either don't have any suggestions or have suggested contractors who charge more than my budget can afford. My nephew wants me to have a certain big-box home improvement store do all my repairs because he works there - but the last time Bill and I had that store install something, the guy did a so-so job and charged us extra because "we didn't prep the area" (prep was supposed to have been included in the company's price quote - we complained but they blew us off).

I've gotten myself so scared and worked up about this that I'm losing sleep over it - this on top of the grief problems I already have. What to do?

Kathy

I recently dealt with the same thing. I got prices from several contractors but they were ridiculous and yes they will take advantage. It doesn't take them long to figure the situation out without you telling them anything. It took me 4 months of searching, each estimate got even more amazing. Two tried to purchase my husband's civil war relics, one so bold as to take a pistol off the wall without asking me. What I ended up doing was finding a handyman that was a type of jack of all trades. He did flooring, drywall, painting, plumbing, replaced a step on my deck etc. He was a retired pastor, someone I could trust to leave a key to the house. It took him six weeks to remodel but I was very pleased with the results. He was so patient with me, everyday I would change my mind and want something else done. He was someone who had done some work for one of my mother's neighbors. If your work is not too extensive you would be better off with a handyman versus a contractor. It ended being way less than half of what a contractor quoted. Do you know anyone who has had remodeling done recently or perhaps if you have a local small hardware store they could recommend someone. Or maybe someone in your church knows of such a person. I don't recommend picking someone out of the newspaper either.

Suzanne

Kathy,

Suzanne is right, you do not want to hire a contractor since you are not doing major remodeling. The best way to go is definitely hiring a handyman. John worked for new home construction and he did repairs and remodeling for people on the side, he did wonderful work and charged the people about 1/3 of what a contractor would. I know you probably think the flooring and new countertop are major but to a handyman they are really not that bad. Suzanne had a really good suggestion about asking your local small hardware store if they know of anyone.

Hugs & prayers, :wub:

Corinne

Hi Kathy,

All the suggestions are good. I feel getting it in writing is a good idea, and if you hire a professional, checking with the Better Business Bureau might be good. I have some work to be done and I'm going to ask at church for someone there or someone that's done work at the church. Try to maintain an aire of confidence, maybe make a list of intelligent questions to ask. No one needs to know you're a widow either. I suppose it might be evident, but don't offer the information. Let us know how you do.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

Kathy,

If you life east of the 101 in Scottsdale or Fountain Hills let me know and I will plug into my "Guy Network" and see who is good, bad or indifferent for handyman services. Haven't used one recently myself but I remember one guy who keeps coming up in conversation as someone who more or less walks on water and it a straight shooter, I just don't recall his name.

I agree with the others, a handyman is the way to go for smaller / simpler projects.

--Bob

Saw some good car buying tips on another thread, but does anyone have good advice on how to avoid being swindled by home improvement contractors?

I agree with the handy-man idea. My mom had contractors come in to remodel just about everything in her home and they all did a horrible job. She followed them around with a camera and took pictures of their shabby work so she could prove they botched things up. They fixed the problems but it gave her more stress than she needed and took up precious time she didn't have. At one point she kicked them all out so she could just go fishing and told them to come back after she was gone. She made them sign agreements to that effect. I dealt with them afterwards.

Anyway...hire someone you trust but get everything in writing, and it wouldn't hurt to take before and after pictures.

What Sandra says is so totally true. Get it in writing and take before and after pictures - in the long run that's the only thing that will hold up in court if anything happens. Pay a small deposit up front, if you have to, but hold final payment until everything is approved. References would also be good. Good luck and let us know.

Your friend, Karen :wub:;)

That's probably too far West but I'll ask around at coffee tomorrow morning anyway.

--Bob

Bob,

I'm in north central Phoenix (but still near the 101), so I may be out-of-area for the handyman you've heard good things about. But if you could tap into your "Guy Network" for me, that would be great. Thanks!