Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Counseling

drew

Well today I went to my first counseling session ever! I actually didn't want to go at first, but I'm so glad I did. My school offers 8 free seesions of counseling to every student per year. So I went in today and within the first 5 minutes I was crying like a baby. The couselor was so understanding and had lost her father, so she could kind of relate. It just felt good to get all of those feelings out...and I could be completely honest! I can't wait until my next session. In fact, I found out that grief counseling isn't the only kind of counseling I need! There are some other issues that we are going to get into, but she said that dealing with the grief is our first priority. She gave me permission to NOT be strong, and that felt good...weird ...but good.

Usually I am the one who is giving advice and telling people its ok. But for now it feels good to have someone listen to the stories about my mom, and to listen to my feelings of anger, saddness, confusion, etc. If anyone is debating whether or not to go to counseling I would HIGHLY suggest it. Even if you think you're ok, just try one session. I feel like there is some hope now! Although I will never get over my mom's sickness and death, maybe I can work through some of these feelings and be a healthy person.

Good for you, Drew, and thank you for sharing your experience with us, as I think it's so important for others to know. Of course I believe in counseling or I wouldn't be a counselor :blush: I think of it as a precious gift we can give to ourselves ~ a gift that can change our lives.