Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Happy And Sad At The Same Time

My grandson was born yesterday. I am so happy yet the first person who I would have shared this with (my mom) is gone. This is the first grandchild that she has not seen. The urge to call mom was so strong yesterday. I just wish she could have enjoyed this day with us. Maybe she was??? He favors my dad which makes it even more difficult because that is the first thing she would have said. Anyway, he is beautiful and I am so happy yet the grief has hit very hard today.

Kathy, dear, I think this is why someone invented the word "bittersweet" ~ it describes so well this co-existence of totally opposite feelings that you are feeling right now. Congratulations on the birth of your precious grandson. I'm so sorry that you weren't able to share this wonderful news with your mom in person, but I have a feeling that she is well aware of the joy this little one will bring into your life. May your darling little grandson grow to be as special a person as his grandmother and his great-grandmother, and may he be forever blessed with the wonder of your love.

Yes, it is bittersweet. I know that she was with us. I could feel her and dad. Everyday I think he looks more and more like my father, but then again, I look like dad and my daughter looks like me and he looks like my daughter.... :) It just sometimes makes me miss her more. Family was so important to her and she has 9 grandchildren and now 22 great grandchildren. Her house was adorned with all the pictures of her grandchildren and great grandchildren. At her death in August we had one vase of 22 roses for each great grandchild. Just before her death we had found out about this pregnancy so when my family went together to order flowers at her death I said we wanted 21 long stem roses and my brothers all said no it's 22. Mom would count this new baby. I thought that was so special and I know that she would have. It was odd this time. Normally I would have called mom to tell her about the birth and she would have called my brothers. This time I called each one. Like a link was missing. Anyway, holding Hayden helps to close off some of that emptyness. Thank you for you kind comments.