Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Memories And Regrets

Hi has anyone else experienced this? Yesterday I was walking through the grocery store and something prompted me to remember specific things my Mom used to do for the grand kids. You know like she had to bring a giant box of Rose's (chocolates) for Christmas Day that sort of thing.

As soon as I remembered that experience my mind raced toward the way we would laugh at her obsessive need to get everything just perfect. We never laughed in front of her, but it was always a running joke. Now I realize how special those moments were and why it was important for her to do those things. I feel terrible that we took her for granted that way. I just want to remember the wonderful things she used to do, how do I deal with the regret and guilt that I didn't show more appreciation for the special things she always did for us?

Any advice would be so appreciated this one really hurts.

Thanks

Aries

Hi Aries,

I would think your mom wanted to make it nice for everybody and I am sure that you do the same for your family. I hope to try and live up to the examples set by my best friend who just passed away recently. She treated everybody the same and took care of everything which if I could just even wish to do, it would make my head spin. But I hope I can learn to do things like her and I will keep trying until I succeed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Kavish

Aries,

With those kinds of regrets.. I just kinda remind myself that no one is perfect and ... there is a lesson for me to learn. And I try to learn it and put that knowledge into practice. I know .. somehow... my Mom or Dad sure don't care about any things I may have done better than I did with them. I just know they love me no matter what.. just like they did when they were here.

So.. whenever I come across a regret in my mind.. I assume... there is something for me to learn. And I do try to learn.

Figure that's the best way to avoid any other regrets in the future and just another way I can become a better human.

leeann

Thanks Kavish and leeann you confirm the best approach,I know it. Guess I will have to deal with the negative thoughts one at a time as they come up. Thanks again for your excellent advice.

Hugz and healing

Aries