Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Funeral Tomorrow...unsure

Hey everyone.

My aunt died last week from Cancer.

Her funeral is on Tuesday (tomorrow)

I'm not sure if I should go.

I wasn't really close with her...I just got closer to her near the end cuz I'd go play guitar for her in the hospital. She loved that.

I want to go, but at the same time i"m so scared and I just don't want any more funerals in my life.

I know her grandbabies and her kids are gunna be there and that they're gunna be so sad, and I'm scared of that.

should I go?

Hey Jenny

this is a personal choice. My gut reaction is to say that you have just had the trauma of going through your Baba's funeral ... and that perhaps it is too much to attend another one so quickly ... I have avoided going to 3 funerals over the past 6 months since Cliff died. On the other hand, you may wake up tomorrow and wish to go.

I think you need to do 2 things:

1. Speak to your parents and ask them what they think too

2. Listen to your inner voice/heart and follow that - listen to your body ... if you are that scared ... perhaps you shouldn't go? I don't know because I am not a counsellor, but if you were my little sister I'd prob tell you not to go, if I'm honest.

Whatever you decide is fine - people will understand.

Is there anyway you can ask your counsellor what they think would be sensible?

Let us know how you get on and what you decide xx

I just had the same thing happen to me. One of my good friend's step-dad just passed away on Sunday and my Mom just passed away exactly 2mths ago today, and her dad was in the same hospital as my Mom was and I told her that I couldn't come to comfort her and her family, she understood, but she didn't realize until today, why i couldn't go there and I also told her that I probably would not go to her Dad's wake. I am just getting by now and I do not want to relive the last 2mths as it is never going to be gone. She understood, I hope. So the choice is really what you can handle and believe me, I can handle alot!

I was gonna go but I got up, got dressed, and then my mom told me to get undressed and go back to bed because me being at the funeral would be pointless and that i didn't need to...I got REALLY mad because just the night before she'd told me she wanted me there and so I was gunna go and now she's telling me not to. So I got angry, chucked my shoes at the door, and got back in my PJ's and came online.

I give up.