Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sept 13, 1904

He has been dead for 30 years as of Aug 13, 2009. He was an alcoholic, and i was never close to him but what a void i have in my life. I wish i knew what it was like to have a dad, if you understand what i mean. My mom did everything for us, and she just died 2-2-08, but that is another story. I miss my dad and wish i could have told him that i loved him. No, i wish i WOULD HAVE told him. He was always there and i could have told him at any time, we just were not close. Anyway, we are taking flowers to him and my mom today. Thanks for listening.

My dad's b'day is today too. He has been gone 19 years and I still think about him. I feel bad because I was going to go to the cemetery this afternoon and a friend called and asked me to go to a winery with her. It was such a beautiful day and I've been so down that I decided to go. I know he'll understand but I'm feeling a little guilty.

• 2 weeks later...

I read that even if you weren't close to a parent, you sometimes grieve even more than someone who was close. You grieve for person and then also for the relationship you didn't have with them.

I understand how you feel, my parents were divorced so I wasn't as close to my Dad as I would have been. I'm trying to find a way to put it all to rest and not let sad thoughts stay in my head for so long. It's hard though. I would have loved to be closer to my Dad but when you don't live with someone, it's hard to be close in that parent/child way. I told him I loved him all the time yet words don't change anything or fill that void, at least they didn't for me. I'm glad I was close to my Mom but then I also feel very protective of her, so that leads me to have anger at my Dad. Yet, I grieve for him too. It's a complicated circle of sadness that I wish I could get out of.

I hope you find some peace about your relationship with your Dad. I'm sure he knew how you felt. Someone once told me when I was feeling guilty about my Dad that it wasn't my sole responsibility to create a great relationship with him. He could have changed things if he wanted to put me as a priority. The truth is, he left my Mom knowing he was leaving me too. That's a choice he made. When I looked at it that way, it gave me a different perspective on it. It wasn't just up to you to create a great relationship with your Dad.

And Mary Linda, I hope you went to the winery and enjoyed yourself without feeling guilty. (((hugs)))