Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gentle Reminder

Last night my son asked me if I never going to cook again. I then realized how long it had been since my oven and stove had been used. We had an abundance of food brought to us, so much in fact we had to freeze some. Compounded by that was how much we were taken out to dinner after my husband died. So today is going to be the day I start. Pa Dutch cooking. I already have chicken in the oven, filling ready to put in, making baked corn and grn beans. My old "normal" Saturday was cooking for the week early in the day and then shutting down my kitchen after cleanup and Dean and I going out for dinner and shopping. Wonder if I still have cooking skills? Hopefully it will turn out good. I remember when I first got home from hospice, I made coffee twice without putting in the filter and coffee. Couldn't understand why I didn't smell coffee. Think I will use my timer to be sure I don't burn or overcook anything. Its amazing what we don't realize we aren't doing. Well I hope and pray you all have a day filled with hope and blessings abound. Thanks for being here for me to share my thoughts and journey. Hugs, Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to hear you are cooking today. It sounds like it's going to be a delicious meal. It's really a big step to attempt the "normal" things in life. Hugs to you. You are a wonderful mother and you have a kind, caring son. Enjoy the meal together.

I also haven't cooked since Brian passed away. I'm thankful for microwaves. Brian really was the better cook and we were always in the kitchen together. He was the chef and I was the sous chef. I don't really have the energy to try yet. I am having some friends over tonight and we're going to make homemade pizza. Hopefully my friends will do much of the work. I thought it was a good idea but now I'm having second thoughts about my energy level. It will be comforting to be with my friends but I also know there will be sadness because Brian will be missing. But, my friends also loved Brian and I know that they miss him, too. I won't have to worry about crying or talking about him. These are the people I want to be around during my grief.

I hope that you day is filled with many blessings and glimmers of peace.

Peace, love, and blessings,

Linda

Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to hear you are cooking today. It sounds like it's going to be a delicious meal. It's really a big step to attempt the "normal" things in life. Hugs to you. You are a wonderful mother and you have a kind, caring son. Enjoy the meal together.

I also haven't cooked since Brian passed away. I'm thankful for microwaves. Brian really was the better cook and we were always in the kitchen together. He was the chef and I was the sous chef. I don't really have the energy to try yet. I am having some friends over tonight and we're going to make homemade pizza. Hopefully my friends will do much of the work. I thought it was a good idea but now I'm having second thoughts about my energy level. It will be comforting to be with my friends but I also know there will be sadness because Brian will be missing. But, my friends also loved Brian and I know that they miss him, too. I won't have to worry about crying or talking about him. These are the people I want to be around during my grief.

I hope that you day is filled with many blessings and glimmers of peace.

Peace, love, and blessings,

Linda

Fred was the cook in our home too. I've been cooking now since he is gone. I prefer it to going out and eating alone and I'm trying to eat healthy. I still eat my share of frozen products though. At first when I started I couldn't find anything I needed in the kitchen. Now, 5 months later, I'm more familiar. I still feel like I'm using his pots and pans. And I really miss some of his specialties!

Fredzgirl

The only reason I am cooking is because Kailyn is starting to eat regular food (non-pureed). Neither Scott nor I were particularly skilled in the kitchen. Oh well.

Korina