Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Going Back To School

STARKISS

Hi All,

I just wanted to ask you all what you think? I know that most of you do not really know me that well but I feel that you are closer to me than my own family is... The question is should I apply to teacher's college or not? I have been told by several teachers at my neice and nephews school that I would be an awesome kindergarten teacher... Two of the teachers being kindergarten teachers themselves, but when I mentioned this to my sister who I live with she totally freaked on the ideal saying that I would not make it through the course and just to forget it ... SO I just need anyone ideals on the subject please... Shelley

HI Starkiss,

I don't know you at all but anyone who would tell you that you would never make it through the course seems like a real downer. Only you can make this decision. I would look at the immediate financial expense, and the amount of time that it would take to get the schooling done vs. how long you will need to depend on your family. The more personal responsibiity you can take and the less dependent you are on those around you the better. Talk to a guidance counselor at the school. Can you support yourself while you go to school? Will it take 10 years to complete or a lot less? I don't think this is a simple question. But stay positive and keep asking those questions, you sound like you want to do someting you love!!! Good luck, cheryl

Shelley, dear, I think Cheryl makes some excellent points, and you are wise to take all of them into account. I hope you will bring this matter to one or both of your therapists for further discussion, too. But I also must say that, if you have a dream to become a Kindergarten teacher, you will find a way to get there. It seems to me that, like your parents with whom you lived all your life and for whom you acted as care giver in their later years, on some level your sister may have a lot invested in keeping you right where you are, caring for her children. She may not be the most objective person to be giving you advice about pursuing your own dreams. You need the input of people who really know you well, and are looking out for your best interests, with nothing to gain by keeping you "little" and dependent upon them. Right now, those people are your therapists. Share your dreams and aspirations with them, and see if they can help you develop a carefully thought-out plan to reach them, including how to apply for financial aid. Many people go back to school in their 40's and 50's, Shelley. I used to be a nursing instructor, and my favorite students were not the youngsters right out of high school. My favorites were the middle-aged ones, because they had reached a level of maturity, they knew why they were in school and took their studies seriously, they knew exactly what they wanted to be, and they were motivated to succeed. (By the way, I was one of the oldest students in my graduate school program. After completing my undergraduate degree right after high school, I got married, had two children and went to work. I couldn't go back to school for my graduate degree until many years later, when my boys were in high school and I could afford to take the time off from working. Most of the students in my graduate program were not much older than my own kids. But I was determined to get that degree, even if I was older than everyone else in my class.)

Starkiss I just remembered that my own sister went back to school at the age of 43. She had 5 kids and a husband. She went in the evenings and had to juggle so many home events. After her first year she found a part time job in the field she loved that allowed her to work form home and continue going to school at night. Remember that we are the only ones who can make ourselves happy and successful. There should always be a challenge in our lives and a dream to fufill. The secret is reaching those goals and feeling the success!

Hi Marty,

I just wanted to say that if my sister has so much invested in me why did she give me the ax, This is my last day of work and now they are even threating to throw me out... So this does not sound to me like she wants me around, besides I got a really nasty facebook message from her this morning threating to cut the internet off if I put anything about our family on facebook... So you see this is why I need to do something else be it college which I feel now i am mot going to do... I think I am going to look for jobs in a whole new city and hopefully move too... Shelley

hi Shelley,

Judging from your kindness and compassion I think you would be great kindergarden teacher. I admire you for wanting to go back to school to do this, it is never too late. I really cannot understand your sisters attitude towards you, it's so horrible, perhaps she is afraid if you do this for you, you move to somewhere else etc that she will lose you as a carer for her children....there are certainly better ways of telling you that if that is the case.

Just listen to what these teachers have told you, they obviously see something special in you for this area. This is your life hun, not your sisters and I really hope you won't allow her to stop you doing what you want for yourself. You have a motivation to do this, that is great and don't let her negativity stop you.

Good luck with it,

niamh

Hi All, I am looking for a new job for the next little while and if nothing turns up than I am going to check out courses in university or college level just to see what is out there for me... Shelley