Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Happy Birthday Dad!

Hi Everyone,

Today is my Dad's birthday, August 14th. Happy Birthday Dad!!! It is a very difficult day for my family and me. I never thought last year on his birthday that that would be his last birthday in the physical form. I have been crying many tears wishing it could be like old times where he would be here with us and we would have a celebration. I so yearn for those times and all the precious memories. I keep on saying, "he should be here with us and not there." Even though this is a sad day we are going to honor my Dad and have a celebration. We are making a special dinner, set the table nice, have cake, get him flowers and a birthday card. We will light a candle on the cake and sing him "Happy Birthday!!!" I know he will be there celebrating with us even if I can't see him.

We had a "Celebration of Life" in honor of my Dad on July 25, 2010. We had a BBQ in my Parent's backyard. My Dad loves parties and wanted one last year but he just wasn't up to it. We made the things he always enjoyed. It was a nice day but very difficult because my Dad was not there. However, I know he was there in Spirit. He wouldn't miss his party.

I sure wish I could hear his voice, laugh or see his beautiful smile again. I really miss him and think about him all the time. Life is so different without him here. It is hard to find happiness but I am trying. One really can't comprehend it until it has happened to them. I miss our conversations. We would talk about so many things. I miss so many things. Not being able to have him here to do the things we normally did, like go on day trips, walking/hiking, holidays, celebrations, talking, watching a movie, etc. He was always there for me and helped me when I needed advice. I know he is still guiding me just from a different place.

Our loved ones enjoy and smile when we continue to have them in our lives even though they are in the afterlife. It brings them such love and joy to know that we are thinking about them and love them very much. They feel the same way. Their love continues to grow each day. That bond we have with them can never be broken.

Sending you all hugs, love, comfort and strength.

Butterfly9

• 2 weeks later...

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. My dads been gone for 15 wks now and I miss him so terribly bad. yesterday was my birthday and I had such a lump in my throat I felt I could barely breath. I try so hard to spend time with mom because I know she needs it and I do too. I feel the best when I am at mom and dads house. I still cry everyday and feel as though I always will. How can my life ever be ok without dad. when mom would give us a gift from them dad would say "what did I give you?" and then " oh thats nice"although last year for my birthday he actually picked out a beautiful framed prayer for me. Maybe he knew it would be the last. he had been diagnosed only about a month before that. there are just so many reminders of him every where i look i know he is with me in a different way but i miss the physical pressence of him. I feel like yelling" wait I guess Iam not done saying goodbye.

My Dad's birthday is coming on September 15th. and my mom's is the 21st. We have always celebrated them together so this one will be hard, I would like to get 80 red helium balloons(red is his favorite color) and get as much family together as possible together and let them all fly to the heavens. Would love that.when I was a kid he always built and flew remote control airplanes and I was his (little helper) and would spot for him so when it went down we would not lose the plane. I am sorry if I am rambleing but am new at this and am usually crying while I write.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Schelly,

I too miss my Dad terribly. I say, "Bring him back, he should be here with us and not on the other side of the veil." The pain can be so unbearable. I still cannot believe that he is no longer here in the physical form. On birthdays, picture your Dad holding a lighted birthday cake with a big smile on his face. I'm sure he was there celebrating with you even though you didn't feel much like celebrating. My birthday was 13 days after my Dad crossed over. It was awful. In a previous post I wrote I had a reading with a Medium and he saw my Dad holding a lighted birthday cake. Now I have that wonderful memory in my mind forever. He loves Black Forest Cake.

I too think that life cannot ever be the same without my Dad here. How can one truly be happy when our precious loved one is no longer here? I think that is wonderful that your Dad got you a framed prayer. That is something to really cherish. I remember years ago when my Dad went on a trip and he brought me back a cute little elf. He picked it out himself. I have it tucked away somewhere. I really need to find it and keep it close to me.

Yes, I have reminders everywhere too. And yes, your precious Dad is with you but in Spirit. I too miss my Dad's physical presence. It is so hard.

It was hard celebrating my Dad's birthday too but it was in honor of him. I'm sure he enjoyed it because we continue to have him in our daily lives. That is what they want. We incorporate them into our lives. That has helped me. Will you still be celebrating both of their birthdays together? I think that will be wonderful having 80 red helium balloons released with your family. What a loving gesture. Maybe you can tie a note on one of them especially for your Dad?

What beautiful memories you have helping your Dad with his remote control airplanes when they came down for a landing. No, you are not rambling. I love to listen to your posts. I am here to listen. It is okay to cry. I cry everyday also. I cry at work too, I don't care. That is what I need to do.

My brother had a wonderful ADC (After Death Communication). He was listening to Swiss Folk music and downloaded a free sample he liked. Then he looked at the title and told me, "Guess what the name of the song is"' I thought maybe it has my Dad's name in it? Sure enough, it had my Dad's name, Walti. His legal name is Walter but my Mom calls him Walti. The title is "Dr Walti im Bibliothek." It means Walti in the Library. I just laughed and said that is Dad telling us he is around. My Mom also believes that. It put a smile on our faces. Usually you don't have a song with Walti in it. It would be maybe Hans or another name. There are no coincidences. That was definitely a neon sign from my Dad that he is alive and well and around us.

My Dad also visits me in my dreams here and there. I see those dreams as new memories with my Dad in Spirit. It is so wonderful! I so cherish them! He means the world to me and so much more!

Sending you love, hugs, comfort and strength.

Butterfly9