Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Schniffy Gone

Joerg

I lost my best friend 3 day's ago and everything seems so unreal to me. I had her for 17 year's and my whole life has changed without having her around. I wonder how long it is gonna take to get used to this new situation.

She had terrible seizure's from a stroke Thursday morning and the vet kept her all day but the seizure's would not stop and she was in very bad shape.

I was with her until the end and I am never gonna forget that experience. I knew this would happen soon but I was still not prepared. I know now what a tremendous influence this dog had on my life. I miss her so much.

Any suggestions on how to cope. I would appreciate that. post-14301-128615480199_thumb.jpg

Thank You

Joerg

Joerg,

I can only say how sorry I am that you lost Schniffy. Each pet relationship that we have is different, so although I've lost many pets, I don't think anything could prepare me for losing my current dog. There comes in life that certain relationship that surpasses all and ours is that. I wish we could have more time with those we love.

It has helped me in the past to memorialize them...one dog I had, Fluffy, was a family pet and we adored that dog...he was only six when he died and should have had many more years left, we were totally caught off guard by his death. We buried him in our back yard and constructed a cross etched with his favorite words (treat, go, good boy, etc.) None of us will ever forget Fluffy, he was the one that stands out in our memory. One dog that I had was 120 lbs and he died in January when the ground was frozen and it was snowing...we couldn't bury him because there's no way we could dig a hole that size in the frozen ground so we had to donate his body to science...that was hard. I do think it helps to be able to lay them to rest in the place they were familiar with. I know they don't know, it's just the idea of it, but still.

I do know we'll be with them again. God could not waste a beautiful spirit such as theirs.

Joerg,

I am so sorry for the loss of you precious Schniffy. I know exactly what you are going through. On August 8th I lost my sweet Cocoa. He was 18 years old and also died from a stroke. I had decided that I didn't want anymore pets because it was just too hard loosing them. Well that lasted about a month. I was constantly looking for him and I couldn't take the quiet. I took kayc's advice and adopted another dog. It was the best thing I ever did. She is so much company. She is 1-1/2 years old and I forgot how funny a younger dog is. She has brought me so much joy.

My husband passed away June '09. I know that they are now together which brings me much comfort.

Take care, Kat