Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Missing Daddy

It has been a while since my last post but I was coming to this site on a daily basis...knowing that I'm not the only one going through this helps somehow... I just couldn't write anything as I still find it hard to talk about my dad. I just got back from a weekend with my friends in the mountains. The first day was pretty hard as it was my first "official holidays" since last year. I was not driving and was sitting in the back seat, I tried hard to hold the tears back so my friend don't see me...didn't want to ruin their weekend. I couldn't, it was just too hard. The next days were ok. We went for walks , sat by the pool, it was very relaxing. On friday, I didn't think that I would enjoy the weekend but I did :) I still feel guilt sometimes when I try to enjoy myself, don't cry a lot but there are so many things I wish I could do by now like looking at pictures and talking about dad...I can't. Tomorrow is the 1 year mark. I was dreading this day but I hope it won't be unbearable. I feel like grief consumed all my energy and I'm only 24. I know that life should go on...somehow... and I'm doing my best to be the strong girl dad was so proud of.

We haven't "met' but I wanted to tell you that I am sure you are making your dad proud. Its been 4 years since my dad died and I still cannot look at pictures or watch videos ...I don't push myself to do that and I know someday I will be able to do that again. I am glad you were able to go with your friends and have fun, thats what your dad would want you to be doing.

hi meranhel08,

nothing at all wrong with you not being able to write, I read every single day too and sometimes I can't post, sometimes I don't have the energy or the words.

It will be 2 years for me this December, truth is I can't get my head around that, it feels like only yesterday I started posting on this site when it had only been a few months but now here I am one of those people who's so long into this but it feels like such a short time.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time away with your friends, I still really struggle with enjoying anything. I do things with friends and it's "ok", "grand" but I feel like I could honestly take it or leave it, there's no real true joy, I just do it !

You're definitely not alone with the photos and talking about your Dad. I can't look at photos either. My Dad's brother gave me lots of photos last year which I was supposed to get duplicated, including ones of my Dad as a child which I had never seen. I haven't even been able to bring them in to be scanned, not to mind look at them. I keep saying every week that I'll do it at the weekend but the weekend comes I put it off to "next" weekend, still waiting for that weekend.

My Mom and I don't talk about Dad at all, we both find it too hard, I just choke up. It all stills feels to wrong for me to be talking about him in the past. Once in a while my Mom will mention something briefly and when I hear the words "before/after Dad died" I think my heart skips a beat, I hate that word, I can barely write it, I cannot use the word in conversation. If I am ever talking about how I feel I will use words like "since it happened" etc, I just cannot utter the real words. I can talk about the grief and the effects it has had on me but I can't get into specifics about my Dad. I can definitely write a little more about me & Dad that I can speak out loud.

I can't even think back myself and reminisce in my mind, it's too painful.

I did struggle a lot with the 1 year mark so I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I felt like I was losing my mind, felt very agitated that entire week. I know on that day I took some time out for myself, treated myself and just let myself feel whatever I was feeling. I plan on doing the same thing again in December for his second anniversary.

I know I'm not the happy go lucky person I used to be but I think my Dad is proud of me, for doing the best I can in this world without him and I bet your Dad is so proud of you too. You're best is all you can do.

sending you much love and ((HUGS))),

Niamh