Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Graphic Movies

Spika

The other day I saw a movie that I didn't think would be particularly graphic or sad, but it turned out to be that way and it left me in a very, very blue mood. I used to be able to watch those kinds of movies without flinching, but now they leave me feeling so sad and withrawn for days on end. I mean it isn't like I don't know that stuff is fake. But to see someone real-or fake struggle for life, it reminds me of my dad when he was suffering. And then I just can't get those images out of my head. Does anyone else experience this?

Yes, actually I do. I've recently witnessed my mom die of cancer, it was a short but painful journey. Watching her was the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

I love horror movies, but have not watched one in quite some time now. I can't bear the thought of watching someone die right now... it brings me back to places I'm not willing to face.

Novi, thanks for replying. I'm sorry about your mother, it is terrible to lose a parent. Just this past August my dad died, from cancer too. Suffering like people do with cancer I think is truly truly a harrowing experience for everyone involved. I didn't know it would have this effect on me but I'm not surprised. While I witnessed his hardship I knew that those moments would be with me forever. I'm just now finding out how those moments have stuck with me. Movie-fake or not, the truth of suffering is all too real. Glad I'm not crazy.

Hi Spika.

I think what you are experiancing is normal. I can't seem to watch commercials, or sad movies. The nature of some graphic movies, is perceived very individually. I personally don't mind them, but anything with an emotional or semantic message, leaves me in tears, as a result, I can't watch the simplest cartoon i.e. ALL dogs Go To Heaven. I think, though, that if the intensitiy of the moment, lingers with you, for more than a few days, or weeks, perhaps grower more intense, then maybe, there is alot more going on. Are you able to talk to somebody? Group?

• 2 weeks later...

I can relate to how you feel.

My fiance passed away in a hospital, and actually spent a lot of time in a hospital due to his disease.

So, now it's hard for me to watch tv shows, or movies, or commercials, that have to do with hospitals or someone in a hospital.

It just takes me back to the times he was in a hospital, and of course they were never good times, especially the last time. :(

• 1 month later...

I am so sorry for your loss. Sorry I just read your response today. I think hospitals are frequently associated with bad memories too. Every time I drive by the hospital that my dad spent his last month and a half in before we took him home, I can't help but shudder.