Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Tomorrow Will Be A Week Since Putting My Benji Boy Down

BenjiBoy

I can't believe that tomorrow will be a week that i had to put my Benji boy down. It feels like i just had him here with me yesterday. It would have also been his 16th Birthday. He was the only one who made me feel better through all the hard times. and now when i walk through the door and don't see his smiling face it breaks my heart. I know I know he's resting in peace now but i can't fathom the idea of me never seeing him again in physical form. They don't tell you this or warn you when you get a loving loyal companion, how hard it is to say good bye. I made the decision to put him to sleep. He had kidney failure and was doing fine after his treatment on feb 22nd had him for a full month as healthy as ever. I swore he had another couple of good months ahead of him. But then on march 22 a month later i had came back from school and found him under the dinner table with his head tilted to one side. and when he stood up he was going in circles. I guessed he had a stroke. I stayed with him all night long till the morning and took him to the vet. the vet dr said there was no possible way to determine whether or not he had a stroke unless they did an MRI but not even then. He also said that it could be vestibular disease and that he should stay there for 72hrs receive treatment and see if he improves.. so i did just that but on the 2nd day i knew in my heart that he wasn't going to come out of this. he was hooked on IV's and a catheter and i knew it was his time because he wasn't eating or drinking at that point. I could see in his eyes that he no longer had the fight in him.. So the next day after 72hrs I spent two hrs with him and put him down.. while being there it was one of the hardest things i have ever done in my life. I did not cry and i held him told him it was okay that he didn't have to fight anymore and that everything would be okay and not to be scared that he was going to doggy heaven.. He died with his eyes open.. And i stayed there for a min or two told him his last goodbyes.. and covered him with his favorite superman blanket and teddy bear.. After i left i broke down outside. my heart never hurt has never hurt so much in my life. i feel empty without him..I lost my best friend on March 25th 2012 at 7:55pm...I got his ashes on the 28th.. the hardest part of the day for me is when i wake up and go to sleep...

Dear Benjiboy,

Today I decided to go on to this site for theraputic reasons and I saw your letter. I am so sorry that you lost your

best friend. You are right, no one tells you how much pain you will be in when you lose the best friend you could ever have. I find comfort in believing that because of my love of my animals, I will see them in Heaven. It has been a year since I lost my Jack Russell, Katie. I like you thought after she had surgery for kidney disease, she had beat it. She had surgery on February 3 and March 3 I was saying goodbye to her. I only had her a short 8 years and felt totally robbed of not having her longer. The firsts are the worst. I was crying daily and now maybe every other day but it is getting better. I have decided since I am not able to get another dog, I sponsor dogs at a humane society so that the adoption fees are waived for anyone who wants to adopt a dog. I know that I can not possibly volunteer at a rescue shelter because the last time I was in there I had to run out because I was crying uncontrollably. I found that donating money as in sponsorships, will be in memory of Katie. You will smile again it just is going to take some time. Maybe there is something you are able to do in memory of Benji that can possibly help the pain. I now can look at pictures of her and say her name without falling apart. It was something I could do to help me thru a very rough time.

I can guarantee you that in a year you will be so much better so cry when you want to now because you are allowed. I promis you it will be better. I wish you the best.

Maybe

Benjiboy,

I am so sorry for your loss, today would be his 16th birthday, but now he is made well and happy again and you'll get to be with him again someday. It is the hardest thing in the world to say goodbye to your best friend and companion because the hole they leave is just too deep. I wish you peace and comfort in the time ahead.

Have you thought about a private memorial for him? Marty has some good articles on this sites for those who've lost their pets. There's one about the Rainbow Bridge that is helpful.

Edited by MartyT
Links inserted