Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Today is Lucien’s 28th birthday. I can’t believe the same man I met 10 years ago had accomplished so much and still remained the sweetest, most generous person I had ever met in my life. He kept all the cards and letters I had ever written him when I thought that he threw them away. They were in an accordion type folder that I would’ve never thought to look, until the day I came back from our vacation after he died and I tore apart our whole bedroom. I keep reading all the birthday cards I wrote him, and one specifically stood out – 10/6/2012, the last thing I wrote him was “Here’s to you being a year older, and many more years to come, and you better outlive me because I don’t know what I would do without you.” I can’t even explain the feeling I get except that I have read it over and over again since the day I found the cards.  

We were so in love and excited for our future, our house, starting a family…. I just turned 24 this July, and I had always wanted to wait until I was 28 to have kids and Lucien respected that. There are so many parts of me wishing that I had a kid sooner, someone who would be just like him, someone who would remind me of the man who once completed me.

Happy birthday my love. My heart aches, but I still am writing you a birthday card today to put with the others you kept. Although I selfishly wanted you here forever, the love and joy you gave to me is something I will treasure until the day I die. I can still hear the ring of your voice and the grin on your face telling me you loved me every day, and I don’t mind if that continues to bounce around in my head forever. With every piece of me … Melani <3

Melani,

Wow, I can only imagine your finding that card.  I realize today will bring you a lot of feelings and it may be hard to get through, but I hope you find some comfort and encouragement throughout this day as well.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Melani,

What a treasure you've found. My wife did the same thing for thirty- seven years. She left behind a tub for each of the kids with every letter, card and gift they had given her. Lots of laughs and tears as we went through the tubs.