Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gepetto

ipswitch

A couple weeks before Christmas, 15-year-old  Gepetto had a health problem that we thought we'd solved.  He rallied, then on Christmas day he started refusing to eat. He had, over the last couple years gone from ten pounds to nine at his last exam, then a little over eight at his last illness.  When he gave up eating and refused force feeding, I realized there may be too much wrong to fix. Over three days he became lethargic and depressed. A little before nine Monday morning we helped him cross the Rainbow bridge.  I'm having a hard time:  I still have one more cat, unfortunately, this one's a little more difficult to love. She has litterbox issues.  She will, at random times, urinate somewhere other than her litter boxes which are apparently supposed to smell like rainwater.  Owing to this, I have to pick up the four boxes that were his, in the portion of the house he ruled, while dealing with a cat I almost gave up a couple years ago, because she's a little crazy.  Yes, she's been cleared my the vet and all, we put her on Prozac and everything.  I did the V-8 head slap when I remembered she'd been adopted out and returned twice before I took her.  (Betting the other owners never said a thing hoping she'd find a good home)  

I didn't have long enough with Gepetto, who greeted me every night at the door when I walked in, and slept with me each night. I love Maxine, but maybe it wouldn't have hurt so much to see her go, and that means I'm kind of a heel.

No, you're not a heel.  Every relationship we have is different, and that includes our pets.  I have two cats and a dog and my relationship with each is very different, including the depth of what I feel.  I love each of them, but differently.  I'm much closer to Kitty than I am Miss Mocha, yet I love them both and don't want anything to happen to either of them.  But there's a reason for the differences in how we feel...Kitty is much more interactive whereas Miss Mocha sleeps a lot and doesn't show much emotion.  They're just different.

I'm sorry for your loss of Gepetto, that's a long time for a cat to live, of course you're having a hard time.  

Regarding your other cat, perhaps it'll help you to remember that she's been abandoned by those who promised to love her, more than once, no wonder she has some problems.  I'm glad she has you now, perhaps forbearance and love is just what she needs.

Aw, she does okay now, as she's been limited to the kitchen, den, and tv room where we hang out.  And the boxes are cleaned twice a day, at least.

Unfortunately, my mind goes back to the day I brought the old boy home. I opened the box, and he hopped out, and husband literally gasped and said, "He's beautiful."  My Mother visited a few weeks later, saw the two kitties together, and said, "It's like they're different species."  (And they were. Imagine Johnny Depp and Queen Latifa)  I've lost both my husband and my Mom since I've had Gepetto, so I've managed to wrap this ending around those losses, as well. 

*Sigh*

With every additional loss, it compounds, doesn't it?  We may grow more accustomed to loss, but it doesn't make it easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ipswitch.......my heart sure understands your loss of Gepetto.    Just so hard.  And we want the world to stop so things can be the way they were.   Grieving our close companions is painful.   I know what you mean about coming o the door.....Gb kitty was the one who always greeted me - he was waiting at the top of the side door steps when he heard the gate close or the key in the lock.  And he was full of life every day until about 2 weeks before I had to let him go.   And Gb slept glued to the right side of my head.  We have to get accustomed to the loss of the "how" of daily life was life Gepetto not at  your door or sleeping with you..

Again , I am so sorry.   Be kind to yourself.  This is a devastating change to your life.