Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Feeling worse than 100 punches in the face - UPDATE - feeling 50 punches less worse

Finch,

Thank you so much for bringing this up. It struck me that all my email correspondence with Dana was via gmail.  I don't have it set up as a client from which I could save it to my hard drive, and any failure in gmail could lose these precious memories forever. I tried a couple of utilities to download them, but have not had much luck. So I am forwarding them to my Outlook account where I can pull them directly  into the hard drive.

I had originally communicated with her through the gmail, because it was easy to use from my phone, so I could hear from her during the workday, if she wrote.

Anytime she left voice mail it was always a ":Hi, it's me. Call when you get a chance." And I never kept them. Big mistake, because now I do not have her voice anywhere. The emails are therefore even more important.

So thanks again for reminding us that we need to take care of this.

Dave

We had a shared email account with netzero when George died.  They were there quite a while but one day I went there and they were all gone.  It was just mundane stuff but it was part of our history and anything destroyed is hard. :(

23 hours ago, DaveM said:

Finch,

Thank you so much for bringing this up. It struck me that all my email correspondence with Dana was via gmail.  I don't have it set up as a client from which I could save it to my hard drive, and any failure in gmail could lose these precious memories forever. I tried a couple of utilities to download them, but have not had much luck. So I am forwarding them to my Outlook account where I can pull them directly  into the hard drive.

I had originally communicated with her through the gmail, because it was easy to use from my phone, so I could hear from her during the workday, if she wrote.

Anytime she left voice mail it was always a ":Hi, it's me. Call when you get a chance." And I never kept them. Big mistake, because now I do not have her voice anywhere. The emails are therefore even more important.

So thanks again for reminding us that we need to take care of this.

Dave

Hi Dave,

That's ok. I'm glad some good came out of the quandary I was in.

Did you try Google Drive's own backup software?

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en

It might be quicker than forwarding everything to Outlook. 

Are there any home videos with Dana's voice on? Even something from her childhood, maybe?

Kay, so sorry you lost your emails. Even the mundane stuff. Did you ever contact net zero about whether they were retrievable?

• Upvote 1

finch, it's been 11 1/2 years since my husband died, I'm afraid they're just gone.  We used to have them on our hard drive but that computer went south. Perhaps an expert could get them but I have no $ for that...I still have the computer in storage, you never know, maybe someday.