LCLCDM Posted May 21, 2018 Report Share Posted May 21, 2018 My 17 year old dog had dementia that had been progressing slowly over a year. Over a years time she stopped going for walks, she stopped playing with toys and stopped barking. In the last few months she was sleeping a lot, pacing a bit during the day, no longer got up to greet me and didn’t seem to recognize her name. She could sleep, eat, drink and go in the backyard. She wagged her tail when I scratched her put butt. He tail was down most of the time. One day I found her under my nightstand…the next day in the closet. Her dementia seemed to be getting worse. Because of this I ended up giving her a supplement called Cholodin….reviews seemed to indicate it helped a lot of dogs but not mine. I gave it to her for 3 days ( so 1 1/2 pills total). She stopped eating and drinking. After 2 1/2 days I called the vets office. The only vet available was someone I found to be really cold. She also didn’t handle my dog nicely one time. So, I ended up going to an emergency vet. The ER vet gave my dog subcutaneous fluid and an appetite stimulate. The next day I was going to see my family and asked the vet if it was safe to take my dog on the plane… he said yes. In retrospect this was a BIG mistake. She should have been given IV that night. When I got to my destination I put food and water out for my dog..but she still didn’t appear to be drinking or eating. That night her nose was stuffed up so I went to the animal hospital and waited for hours. The vet said it was just a dry nose….but the IV fluid might help her anxiety from the supplement. I said ok….it took them a long time to give me an estimate. I told the vet tech I was worried about my dog being in a small space because she was stressed and anxious and asked if my dog could be put in a larger kennel. The girl went around in circles not giving me a straight answer or committing. I asked to speak to the vet again….time went by…no vet. I finally left. I blame myself for leaving that night because I think my dog may have been ok if she got IV at that time. The next day I took her to another place. Again…subcutaneous fluid and appetite stimulate. I did the same the following day and finally put my dog in the hospital. By then it looked like something neurological was developing. She was on day 6 of not eating or drinking…with 3 or 4 treatments of sub Q fluids. I also tried giving her liquid and food with a syringe but she wasn’t getting much. She was in the hospital 5 days, her dehydration was treated....she was eating a little chicken but not drinking. She stopped walking at the hospital but resumed walking at home. She could walk on carpet but not tile floors. She was still being fed with a syringe and treated with sub q fluids at home. Looking back I don’t think she was getting enough fluid or food. She fought the syringe. They suspected she had an ulcer so she was taking medication for that. One day after returning from the hospital she started pacing. I thought it was her dementia or she was anxious due to her stuffed nose. She paced through the night and next day, but was also hiding and bumping into things. I had a vet appointment at 4 (she had been pacing for a day and 1/2). Right before I left she collapsed into what seemed like a coma. The vet was a few blocks away. He said if I wanted to save her I needed to go back to the hospital immediately. He also said he didn’t think her prognosis was good, and that this would now be a viscous circle. I asked him what he would do if it was his dog ? He said he would let her go. He didn’t think her quality of life would be good. My appointment to go there was to get her some anxiety medication as well as discuss the other drugs the hospital gave her so I could get his opinion. I never imagined she would collapse. Putting her down that day was a snap decision which is so unlike me. The vet asked if I was keeping her alive for me or for her….I said I didn’t want to keep her alive for me. I thought about her progressing dementia and agreed to put her down. Now I’m backtracking regretting not taking her to my vet initially ( she could have survived). I regret not leaving her at the hospital the first time, I regret not taking her to the hospital when she was pacing. I regret giving her the supplement that caused the downward spiral. I regret not trying harder to save her before putting her down. I think she wasn’t eating due to gastrointestinal issues and may have needed a feeding tube. None of it makes sense to me and I am stuck in a place of guilt and pain. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!Register a new account
Already have an account? Sign in here.Sign In Now